No announcement yet.

Driveshaft or U Joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the brakes on my box are bad in any way, they just don't have the crisp feel of a newer cars brakes. Pedal is kinda mushy, but it's still pretty linear, except for the first inch or two, which does nothing.
    Mine has new Raybestos semi-metallic pads and new rotors in the front, rears are the original drums put on the assembly line, hopefully the shoes would be a bit newer.

I've locked up the brakes a couple times, twice on wet pavement, once on dry. A panic stop is relatively terrifying, brakes locked up or not. There's so much weight transfer due to soft suspension. I'm mostly afraid of the passengers safety and cracking the header panel.
    All I could really ask for is a less mushy brake pedal, better feel. Also doing the wheel bearings was a fucking mess.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

When I put discs on the rear of the Firebird, that gave the car "crisp" brakes. The mush you feel in your pedal is most likely the fluid take up happening at the rear brakes- the amount needed to push the shoes into the drums. You could try adjusting them. They typically need it once a year, the drive fast in reverse and then brake hard doesn't really work for me.

A potential tid-bit of advice is to never just jab the brake pedal, even if you have to brake hard. Always ease into it.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Kishy nailed it with with explanation of how the brakes are. It’s funny though because I used to have an 85 ltd and that thing had great brakes, one of the best I’ve had in any of my cars. The pedal felt great and stopping power was great though I did lock it up a few times.

I’ll look in that link thanks. Not that it matters but I was looking for one from a different site, maybe it’s not around anymore. Cvn guys would know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my usual complaint with box brakes is they're too touchy. I think it may be the booster though. My Continental has the same front brakes and the same master cylinder, but its hydroboost. It has none of that touchy prone to lockup nonsense and its pretty much the same weight as a Vic. It is rear disc but I don't really think thats got a ton to do with it. Honestly even with the big brakes on the Towncar, when I still had the stock master cylinder and booster the pedal feel and control was not as good as it is with the late 90s booster and master.

much as I'm a fan of better brakes for everyone, I'm also a cheap bastard so I always suggest starting by evaluating what you have now. A big part of why I upgraded the front brakes is because I needed to do a front suspension overhaul anyway. The rears got done because the axle was coming apart for new bearings and the rear drum parts were fucked. Pricing to replace the 11" tow package rear drums was higher than converting it to disc using good junkyard parts, so thats what happened. I did have to get different wheels, but what I had were in bad shape and the tires were shot so that also wasn't really a big deal.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not really an update as work has kept me busy but thought I’d throw this out there. I’ve noticed the brakes are dragging a little, I’m not sure if it’s front or back yet but it doesn’t move on its own when I first start it and put it in gear. It’s probably just the slider pins. And the brake pedal doesn’t have that delayed return when the car is off. Could it be the booster? I have all of next week off and I want to knock out as much work on it as I can.

Comment

could be. I've heard of boosters failing and just sucking the pedal down to the floor as soon as the engine started. There are valves inside, if one is sticky it could make it act like that.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you think I could test it by removing the vacuum line and seeing if it will roll any faster while in gear? That’s with the air bled from the booster that is.

Comment

can't hurt to try, just plug the vac line or the engine will idle funny

Comment

I’ll try that this week then.

Comment

Working...
                    X