Hey guys bad news transmission issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The diesel will run about 38 if I keep it to not more than 55. A lot of 70-75 gets me 25 mpg. You can definitely tell that thing was engineered for a 55 mph speed limit. Also 2.4L 115 hp engine in a 2 ton car with 3.73 gears. It really spins along at 70+.
    You can tell the Mark VI was engineered for a 55 mph speed limit when you try to take it up to 70 on the interstate, it will do it and it doesn't struggle to maintain it but getting there takes a bit. As a result I've only done it twice for about 20 miles both times.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Boxes are the best riding cars under 60mph.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You'd get run over if you tried to do 55 on any highway around here in NJ lol, with my new built carb'd 351 I get 19-20 with the A/C on going 73-75 on relatively flat ground, and 20-21 without the A/C on
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          You'd get run over if you tried to do 55 on any highway around here in NJ lol, with my new built carb'd 351 I get 19-20 with the A/C on going 73-75 on relatively flat ground, and 20-21 without the A/C on

You’d get run over doing that here as well, you nearly get run over getting a stock box up to 70.

I’ve heard horror stories from my grandparents about driving in New Jersey and D.C. The worst I’ve dealt with was Las Vegas, Chicago, and Detroit. Those were bad enough.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Drivers in Detroit are terrible. For example, they'll try and go around you as you pull or back into a driveway- sometimes on the inside. Although I'd say my worst experience was Florida drivers. Wow, just wow.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Chicago. I Pass constricting lanes, automated speeding tickets (for as little as 6 over) red light cameras purposely calibrated at differnt yellow light intervals to catch you, and a 55 mph speed limit on the freeways. Now add the drivers and the traffic to the mix for a maelstrom of fuckupness.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

being run over at 55 is why I accept the significant reduction in fuel economy to go 70, and honestly thats still too slow in some places. The Mark VII is a much more happy car on the highway, better aero and 3.27 gears means its still fine at 80, though the fuel econ hovers around 19 up there.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah mine averaged 20-22 highway at 65-70, I was planning to park this old girl for the winter soon anyways and fix it up next spring but if the tranny is on borrowed time is it really worth it logically? How much mileage will the car suffer without od? I never intended to get great gas in this boat but if it dips down to 15 or something crazy.

Comment

Start saving for a rebuilt transmission when the car is put away for the winter. Gas prices continue to go up and will for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      Start saving for a rebuilt transmission when the car is put away for the winter. Gas prices continue to go up and will for quite a while.
                      Is it logical though at this point? The car has 30+ years of MN rust here, it's not rusted like swiss cheese yet but there are rust holes in the body, the engine will need a rebuild as well in the future. We are talking $2500+ I assume. For $2500 I could find another in the future that's in way better shape mechanically and cosmetically. I am gonna park it for the winter for now but I don't think I will hold onto it at this point aside from driving it till the tranny goes but then going back to my question how bad will the gas mileage suffer without O/D.

Comment

Originally posted by TwiztidRat View Post
                        Is it logical though at this point? The car has 30+ years of MN rust here, it's not rusted like swiss cheese yet but there are rust holes in the body, the engine will need a rebuild as well in the future. We are talking $2500+ I assume. For $2500 I could find another in the future that's in way better shape mechanically and cosmetically. I am gonna park it for the winter for now but I don't think I will hold onto it at this point aside from driving it till the tranny goes but then going back to my question how bad will the gas mileage suffer without O/D.
                        If you were closer to NJ I’d sell you my old AOD with shift kit for $250, worked great. There are used working Trans out there, just have to find one. Could ask on the forum here and see if one pops up near you, or take a chance with someone you don’t know selling one
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I believe you will lose an average of 30% of your gas mileage without OD, cruising at 65 mph.

Comment

Yeah so I would hover around 16 highway, meaning I would have to stay off highways till I got this dealt with. I know these are hard to find around my area but with everything already wrong with it I have to know when it's time to say good bye or invest in it. At this point it's up in the air, thanks though guys we'll just see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              Boxes are the best riding cars under 60mph.
                              Mine rides pretty good at double that, though gentle curves at 60 become white-knuckle events at 100+. 🤣
                              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Hey guys so update. Still have the old girl, I noticed the OD is still KIND OF working. When it climbs up 40+ the engine will rev but it eventually shifts and as long as you are on a straight road the car will go up to speed normally. If you are trying to drive up a hill forget it but if I drive her on the highway and set the cruise at 65 in regular drive than shift it into OD it revs for a few secs but than still stays at 65 like normal. So if I want to keep using it on the highway is it ok to shift into o/d at 65 even if it revs? Or should I just drive it normally out of OD just wondering if it's more rough on the tranny but it's nice cruising at 65 in OD instead. Just quieter engine lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X