Hey guys bad news transmission issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys bad news transmission issues

So I was driving out of town today, and driving on a hill I lost O/D. The throttle pedal does not feel light or anything it will shift into 4th in regular Drive but that means it will burn gas like crazy, and it doesn't like cruising in 65 without OD engine feels boggled up. So..not sure if there's any saving this transmission or drive it till it conks out for good. I had to drive it back home 60 miles highway, at that point I just wanted to get it back home. I should've known something was bad with this tranny cause it would shift in OD at 55 or so, and downshifted too early all the time. Damn my luck.

How is your line pressure? It probably is going though. I hope you have a good trans shop nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be checking it out tomorrow, but doesn't matter, the engine is really tired on this old girl. Flickering engine light at idle, so there's really no point saving her after she finally decides to give up the ghost. I was planning on parking her for winter anyways maybe be a spring project but I hope the tranny is an easy fix but likely no chance.

Comment

You never know it could be something stupid. Well it’ll at least make a fun project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like the trans is toast.

While it might not sound like it to your ears, they can run 65mph all day in regular drive and not hurt anything.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Sounds like the trans is toast.

While it might not sound like it to your ears, they can run 65mph all day in regular drive and not hurt anything.
            Oh I know that but where I live the town is tiny, so if I can't really use it on the highway it's really limited to be useful. I mean how bad would the gas mileage drop in regular drive if you use it for highway? I'm guessing it would be like 17 tops. I guess either way I'll decide after winter what I will do with her but since the motor is shot as well there's no point to fix everything on this old girl. It's rusted and rotted as it is. I just hate that this happened but what do you do. It's probably the original tranny.

Comment

You got more than 17 normally? Hell I only get about 18 with overdrive.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

With the highway gears, the 88 would get 21-22. With the 3.55 gears, never more than 19. I also live in flatlandia.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Driving to Phoenix and back earlier this year I averaged 20 mpg. That was about 1,000 miles round trip with 3.27 gears. Normally, though, I'd be more in the 18-19 mpg range.

The one time I towed a trailer I kept it out of OD the whole time. That ended up being closer to 12 mpg.

This is all out in the desert where you can easily climb 1,000 ft or more.
                  1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

with the stock motor it never broke 15, so I guess I should be happy with 3 mpg and 100 hp over stock. Fairly flat here too but 2 tons and brick-like aero with a 3.55 does not make for a highly efficient vehicle at 75ish. It would probably be OK at 55 like it was really designed to do. Thats where the exhaust drone is though so fuck that.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 1988 Grand Marquis averaged 22-23 on a trip, about 18-20 general combined city/highway driving. The Mark VI is doing 17-19 regardless of how I drive it. My one Aero and three whales have done in the 22-23 range and 25 ish on a trip. Except the 2001 Town Car, not sure what was up with that thing but I got damn near 28mpg going to and from ScottFest 2015. 3.08's in the Mark VI, 1988 MGM and 2001 Town Cars, 1995 MGM had 2.73's, and the 2002 LSE and 2003 Town Car 3.27's.
                      Last edited by mercurygm88; 10-21-2021, 12:03 AM.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Those mileage figures are about what I am getting. When I had MGMs and TCs from 2004-2007, I got 28 on trips frequently. My 96 CVPI still gets 28 mpg on trips. Only time my mileage is terrible is with the 89 TC signature. In town mileage is 11-14. 22-23 on a trip as it has freeway gears. The other 89 TC gets 18-22 most of the time.

Comment

Pretty damn decent for what they are.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I get 13 mpg.

Maybe 15 if I try. Worst tank was 7. Best half a tank I've gotten was 16,5 mpg.

With a stock, broken CFI and 3.08 gears.
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The diesel will run about 38 if I keep it to not more than 55. A lot of 70-75 gets me 25 mpg. You can definitely tell that thing was engineered for a 55 mph speed limit. Also 2.4L 115 hp engine in a 2 ton car with 3.73 gears. It really spins along at 70+.

Comment

Working...
                              X