Which Circuits Have 12v ON & START?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mgaxyff-C...erId=101006085

70 sounds kinda high, maybe ask the manufacturer of your system what they like to see for fuses? Fuses protect the wiring, so for 70 amps i would think you'd need some pretty large wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a6448405-101-wire_chart.gif
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1289748

There are charts like this available on the internet, not saying this one is particularly good or accurate.
    Last edited by massacre; 10-28-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

the typical Bosch relays are 30 or 40 amp. Should be enough for most things honestly. The connectors on those things tend to be the weak point. The cheap relay + socket packages you can find everywhere have thin garbage wire in fat insulation. Gets awful warm at the crimp with heavy load and then you have problems. I have some of those but won't run them more than about half their rated load and I don't use them for anything important. The key-on cig lighter for my phone charger can fail and it doesn't matter. Not going to trust an ECM to that.
      Last edited by gadget73; 10-31-2021, 07:36 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm using the relay but not a socket. Good looking out on the relay sockets. I looked into sockets but decided against it.

Comment

single biggest reason I like the sockets is if I have to change the relay I don't have to pay attention to where the wires go.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            single biggest reason I like the sockets is if I have to change the relay I don't have to pay attention to where the wires go.
            Good point

Comment

And for headlight relay mods... replacing those relays on the side of the road in the dark is so much easier when there's sockets.

yeah, I've had to do that once.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can any of you guys recommend a good socket that would handle 30 amps? Thanks

Comment

If you need more than just a couple, this might be perfect for you... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR64XK1/
                  There's a kit option that includes relays and fuses as well. You provide your own wire.

I used this style in my car because I don't care about looks and they're all over the place instead of consolidated in one place... https://www.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED-ST...dp/B01KVZ2MCW/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I have a bunch of those loose ones too, probably the same make. Not sure I'd trust running 30 amps through them but I have been running the e-fan on the Conti with one for 2 years now without any problem. I've had it running in high speed for most of that time too. Startup surge on that is probably an easy 25 amps. The original Ford relay was this really funky thing that seemed to be used on the diesel and I think a 1973 Torino wagon with a tow package. Of course you can't find that relay, so it got subbed for a generic Botch type of finest quality direct from China.

Comment

I have the HVAC blower on one as well. Zero issues there.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        If you need more than just a couple, this might be perfect for you... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR64XK1/
                        There's a kit option that includes relays and fuses as well. You provide your own wire.

I used this style in my car because I don't care about looks and they're all over the place instead of consolidated in one place... https://www.amazon.com/ONLINE-LED-ST...dp/B01KVZ2MCW/
                        Thanks for those links, i'm currently looking for singles, no room for a big box but that looks like a nice piece.
                        Not sure that 14 gauge is necessarily "heavy duty" as my main circuit has 10 gauge wires. But it seems you guys are using them so i'll give it a shot. They are cheap enough lol.
                        Last edited by massacre; 11-04-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I removed the pins and uncrimped them and added 10 gauge wire for the lines I was concerned with. I think I only did that to 2 of the 13 or so I'm using. Both of those were for the blower motor relay in 2 different cars. The rest, no problems. For that short of a run of 14, just put 10 behind it and it should be fine. If not... use another one and do the terminal swap.

Comment

I have terminals.
                            I'll just swap the terminals, thanks!

Comment

So it turns out the Pro-M system already has a relay for the ECM and Sensors, so I won't need to worry about the whole relay situation. Here is the relay that protects the ECM and sensors on the Pro-M harness.

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1289783
                              I will be able to run my orange wire directly to the wire I am looking for, as it is already protected by a relay. No point in installing another relay to active this one.

I also *think* I was able to identify the two wires kishy was talking about, the Red + Light Green and Brown + Pink wires coming from the ignition switch.

Name:	IMG_2539.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1289784

I believe I was also able to track down the Red + Light Green splice coming through the firewall. This is the harness that it is loomed up to coming through the firewall.

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1289786

It looks to be spliced up to another wire, but this one is Red + Green. Both greens are distinct. Here is what it looks like:

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1289785

Now, my question is, which wire do I splice into to make this all work? Red + Light Green at ignition switch? Brown + Light Pink at ignition switch? Do I peel back some of the large harness the Red + Light Green & Red + Green are loomed up to and splice into that wire? Do I just splice into the Red + Light Green that is exposed already and not worry about the Red + Green right next to it?

This has really been my greatest challenge to date, and it's been really kicking my behind since February. Plus, I know my dad is getting anxious and impatient, and I know he wants to drive his car soon, and I'm what's stopping him because I'm the one doing the install. But anyways, I really appreciate the helping hand this community has given me so far. So as to not leave you guys & gals with only my troubles, here's a picture of what I have been able to succeed in so far:

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1289787

Thanks again for everyone's help! Everyone here totally rocks \m/
                              1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                              1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Working...
                              X