Which Circuits Have 12v ON & START?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Circuits Have 12v ON & START?

The car I'm working on is my dad's 91 Marquis.
    The question I am seeking help on is as follows:
    Which circuit has 12v with the key in the ON and the START postions, but NOT have power when the ignition is OFF?
    I discovered the radio circuit fit two of these criteria (12v ON, no power OFF), but failed to check if it had 12v in the START position.
    It would be a great help if someone already knows whether or not the radio circuit fits all three of these criteria.
    If it does not, can someone help me determine which circuit does, or how I can find it?
    I am working on installing an aftermarket engine management system on this vehicle and need to find a circuit as such.
    Thank you to everyone for your all help.
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

How much of the rest of the car is getting deleted? I would just use the factory ECM power relay, since that meets your needs if it will still be in the car. On a 91, that lives in the compartment attached to the black plastic vacuum reservoir on the driver side fender.

That relay is activated when the switch is in Run or Start. The wire colours are Red/Light Green coming from the ignition switch for Run, and Brown/Pink coming from the ignition switch for Start. They combine at a splice and continue to the relay as Red/Light Green. You should not use that wire as your power supply, you should only use it to switch a relay and use the relay to power your new stuff.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Which system are you going with? I toyed with the idea of a megasquirt plug and play for a fox but for me it probably wouldn’t be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don' know if SEFI is the same as CFI with the ECM and fuel pump relays.
        Atleast on EEC-IV CFI, the fuel pump relay gets the signal from the ECM, so hopefully your engine management does the same, if it uses the factory ecm connector.

I will be doing a carb conversion, and I'll be routing the power side of the ECM relay to the fuel pump.
        ECM relay is always hot from the battery, and gets the signal from the ign switch.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

almost nothing still has power in start except the ECM feed. The ignition doesn't even have start-on power, there is a secondary feed to take over when cranking.

If you're doing involved wiring work, you really need the EVTM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            almost nothing still has power in start except the ECM feed. The ignition doesn't even have start-on power, there is a secondary feed to take over when cranking.

If you're doing involved wiring work, you really need the EVTM.
            Agreed.

Trying to do it without one is kind of flying blind.

Comment

FWIW, my information above is from the 91 EVTM.

I echo the sentiment that anyone doing this type of work really needs a copy of that book.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                How much of the rest of the car is getting deleted? I would just use the factory ECM power relay, since that meets your needs if it will still be in the car. On a 91, that lives in the compartment attached to the black plastic vacuum reservoir on the driver side fender.

That relay is activated when the switch is in Run or Start. The wire colours are Red/Light Green coming from the ignition switch for Run, and Brown/Pink coming from the ignition switch for Start. They combine at a splice and continue to the relay as Red/Light Green. You should not use that wire as your power supply, you should only use it to switch a relay and use the relay to power your new stuff.
                I greatly appreciate this information. This was what I was looking for. I am removing the engine harness & factory ECM and installing an aftermarket EFI system.

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                Which system are you going with? I toyed with the idea of a megasquirt plug and play for a fox but for me it probably wouldn’t be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I convinced my Dad to go with the Pro-M EFI system. It's been a 3-4 year project overall but I started the Pro-M installation this year. The system is really top notch and I recommend it to anyone, although the installation has been quite involved on this 91. It's only my second time installing an aftermarket engine management system.
                1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Would there be anywhere else aside from the factory ECM power relay I could tap into?

We pretty much got rid of the entire factory engine harness/ECM harness and that included the factory ECM power relay kishy was talking about.

This is the direct quote from the Pro-M manual:
                  "
                  Connect the Orange wire marked “KEYED RUN” to the keyed ignition switch. This
                  wire must have +12 volts with the key in RUN and START positions. In other words,
                  it must have 12V when the key is “on” AND when the engine is cranking. It must
                  NOT have power when the ignition is “OFF”.
                  "

Thanks everyone for their help and input.

Comment

I recently went through this on my fox, i used a test light to find a wire at the ignition switch that was hot in both start and run. On my car it ended up being a white/light blue wire that went from ignition switch to the ignition control module. Confirmed by checking the EVTM.
                    I am no longer using the ignition module so that works for me. Your car is probably different, my donor harness and ignition switch are probably more like yours, with the previously mentioned brown/pink and red/green wires.

Not sure if you could splice those 2 wires together into 1 wire to get you sorted?

Comment

The wire to turn on that relay comes through the firewall. It is somewhere available to you, you just need to find it. Then use it to power a relay, not as a power source itself.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                        The wire to turn on that relay comes through the firewall. It is somewhere available to you, you just need to find it. Then use it to power a relay, not as a power source itself.
                        Agreed. That is what i am doing. I'm taking it a step further by using a relay to power a 6 circuit fuse panel for other additional switched circuits.
                        Lots of fuses everywhere, don't want to burn up wires/start a fire lol

Comment

using relays to unload the ignition switch is generally a good idea on these. Too much current runs through that thing and its a known weak point. Its the crossing point of modern cars with lots of electronics and old design that didn't believe in adding extra parts to the circuits. Its that whole "it can't fail if its not there" philosophy.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            using relays to unload the ignition switch is generally a good idea on these. Too much current runs through that thing and its a known weak point. Its the crossing point of modern cars with lots of electronics and old design that didn't believe in adding extra parts to the circuits. Its that whole "it can't fail if its not there" philosophy.
                            Totally agree.
                            My eec pulls 30 amps, and fuel pump is 20 amps. Stock Fox fuse box has cylindrical glass fuses, and the biggest one is 20 amps.
                            Sending 50 amps through the stock ignition switch sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

So going to use a relay. I was able to find a relay that has a built in 30a fuse, which is nice and saves hassle and space.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the help, I am thinking of getting a 70 amp relay.
                              Would that be overkill, or is this a situation where overkill is a good thing?
                              I'm still a bit fresh to the electrical theory but I am learning as I go.
                              I have a book about custom auto wiring and electrical I am reading, so that is helping my confidence with all this stuff.
                              Massacre, that is a nifty relay there with the fuse connected right to it.
                              I tried finding one like that on Summit but my search came up empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X