Wipers and horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers and horns

I failed my inspection because of wipers not working and horns what’s a good replacement for these
    All checks were made on wires and fuses,relays.off car I put power to wiper and nothing also horn no noise
    These are original ones

Are wipers and horns on the same fused circuit? Or a shared ground? Shared relay?
    Does multifunction switch control both?
    Did you not know they were inoperative? Or were they working before the inspection

Comment

Regardless of whatever is keeping your horns from honking, it's always a good time to upgrade to Cadillac 4-note horns.

https://youtu.be/ZBP2EEaH_8M

Comment

The 4 notes are nice but not cheap

One of the horns was dead on the Conti when I got it, I found new OEM 2015 Mustang horns on ebay for less than replacing the single horn. Might be an option, horns are pretty generic devices, apply 12v and noise comes out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          The 4 notes are nice but not cheap

One of the horns was dead on the Conti when I got it, I found new OEM 2015 Mustang horns on ebay for less than replacing the single horn. Might be an option, horns are pretty generic devices, apply 12v and noise comes out.
          Agreed.
          Some cars use a relay for the horn.
          My MGM used a horn relay. Twin horns, 1 "high frequency" 1 "low frequency".
          Sometimes when 2 things are not functioning at the same time, they are 2 separate things, but sometimes they can be related.
          That's why i brought up the shared ground or fuse.

Comment

I want to replace the wiper and horns is there a better upgrade to these.

Comment

other than 4 notes or an air horn or something, not really. Wipers are just what they are. Working ones are a significant upgrade to non-working but thats about as far as the magic goes.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                other than 4 notes or an air horn or something, not really. Wipers are just what they are. Working ones are a significant upgrade to non-working but thats about as far as the magic goes.
                Hahahahahahhaaahahaa
                Wiper mod

Comment

Do I need a low tone and high tone horn
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not really but you get a better sound and twice the volume with two. So generally yes. Are both of yours buggered? usually only one goes.

In general , not horn specific, Standard non-T series ftw.
                    Last edited by jaywish; 11-01-2021, 08:38 PM.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Original ones died not a bad run for those

Comment

+1 both tones. They just work better for getting people to hear the horn than going with the single tone.

Or big rig horns... the real ones.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For wipers, you can swap to the single connector wiper motor used in aeros and whales. The motor itself is essentially the same so I wouldn't call it an upgrade, the term swap is more fitting. Swap the mounting plate from the original wiper motor since the mounting plates are different. The wire colors were the same so when I grabbed the pigtail from an aero/whale in the JY and spliced it in, it was just a matter of matching color for color (verified through EVTM/wire diagrams for '91 and whatever year I got the pigtail from.) At the time this option made sense because the motor was on clearance on RockAuto for $11. At the moment, if you order a motor for a '98 it's only slightly cheaper than what they have for a box.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post835354
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            For wipers, you can swap to the single connector wiper motor used in aeros and whales. The motor itself is essentially the same so I wouldn't call it an upgrade, the term swap is more fitting. Swap the mounting plate from the original wiper motor since the mounting plates are different. The wire colors were the same so when I grabbed the pigtail from an aero/whale in the JY and spliced it in, it was just a matter of matching color for color (verified through EVTM/wire diagrams for '91 and whatever year I got the pigtail from.) At the time this option made sense because the motor was on clearance on RockAuto for $11. At the moment, if you order a motor for a '98 it's only slightly cheaper than what they have for a box.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post835354
                            That's a great idea. I know the Aero wipers "park", not sure if box wipers do.
                            I know an Aero wiper motor can be swapped into the 03-04 marauder wiper box, so makes total sense.
                            As long as the wiper transmission is the same. I remember the 2 transmissions being slightly different?

Comment

box wipers park.

Somewhere along the way the box motors changed and there was a wiring harness adapter to fit a late motor to an early car. Offhand I don't remember if it changed from 1 to 2 plugs or from 2 to 1. The motor on my 86 is original, one of an exceedingly few things that are, so I've never actually been forced to know anything about the different motors. I can tell you that getting the clip off is a pain in the ass though, and when it goes flying off when you finally do get it undone, it vanishes in the dead leaves and other trash that will be packed into the wiper cowl. Once you find it, assuming it didn't break which it probably will, clean the dirt out before putting it back together.

and if the motor didn't come with a clip, buy an extra so you won't need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X