No announcement yet.

Dumb sway bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That angle iron idea isn’t a bad one. I’d probably use bolts that run all the way through the control arm with crush sleeves to help prevent the torque of the dork from twisting and fatiguing one side of the control arm.
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Thats the same mounting arrangement the factory bars use, and for that exact reason.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How to attach the rear bar inner mounts if the car didn't come with a factory bar? I don't think mine has any extra sway bar brackets on the rear axle.
        Some generic u-bolt style solution or weld-on brackets from somewhere? The factory inner mounts are on the bottom side of axle tubes right?
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

If a 1997 or older car, if using a rear sway bar secured to the LCA as depicted in the pdf 324 mentioned, one would not want or need axle brackets and bushings like 1998 and newer cars. Those plates to adapt will work if thick enough. GM cars with the strictly LCA mounting came with spacers in the control arms to eliminate collapse with the bolts. If desired to use later style axle mounting, then the end links that are not depicted would need to be used too. If the bar were to be anchored to the axle housing and LCAs, the LCAs would be wrecked when the first suspension movement was made, the bar would move with the axle. I've had a couple GM cars with rear sway bars mounted via just 4 points on lower control arms, it works. One could fab axle mounts using ES bushings and straps and large U-bolts with saddles on the axle. That #650 bar is a full inch diameter.
          No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
            with rear sway bars mounted via just 4 points on lower control arms, it works.
            Huh, makes sense. Was kinda wondering whats the point of the non-pivoting end links.
            Well damn, retrofitting a rear bar won't require fabrication really, using the factory style lca mounting. And I'd rather do it with angle iron and crush sleeves like mentioned.

Cool, I can use a drill and a saw, but not really a welder so I'm even more inclined to get a rear bar now.
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Here is a newer rearend under a 79 frame, that has no body on it. This is what you would need to make "patch" for. Mounts on the old axle are easy, use some 3" ubolt exhaust clamps and whatever ES sway bushings you need.

The reason the addco 324 bar has your redrill the arms for their bracket is because it is further back. You can kinda see how much reaward the newer style bar ends compared to the mounting holes in the arms. One could flip how your lower arm mounts to push the holes to the back a few inches to possibly use them as intended.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	sway.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1289769
              Last edited by JeffBoudah; 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X