Dumb sway bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb sway bar question

Would a 87 town car REAR sway bar fit a 87 Vic? There is one in the yard and I may go look and see if it has a rear sway bar.
    1987 CV LX 5.0

Yes, bolts right on. Be advised, the skinny bar that comes on civilian cars is pretty much useless. Try to find one off a police package Crown Vic. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Will do, thanks Pete.
      1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

skinny one is still better than nothing. Cop cars are pretty damn hard to find
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I actually tired to get addco to make our bars exactly as factory. They have a custom engineering group. Their presses don't have the tonnage to forge the flat tang as long as ours. For example, their g-body bar has only two small bosses forged flat 6" apart.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            skinny one is still better than nothing. Cop cars are pretty damn hard to find
            ive been noticing that. lol
            1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Doesn’t the 92-97 use the same rear suspension setup?
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

There rear bars are mounted differently...not to the lower arms. They tie up into end links that tie up into the frame....the older frames dont have the proper mount/reinforcement to utilize them.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  The older frames dont have the proper mount/reinforcement to utilize them.
                  Is there any comparison pic or some sort of writeup on the difference. How big of an ordeal it would be to do the newer end link mounting to an older frame?
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Check out this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ED-87-Town-Car
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Ooh it even is the Addco 650 I've pondered about. So the sway bar bushings are installed to something already on the axle, or with generic U-bolts, can't quite see?
                      If the ends on the addco bar would've been flat instead of vertical, it would probably be easier to find end links of a suitable length and convenient offset to just make a hole in the frame and bolt on. But I guess the welded reinforcements work with factory style vertical end links.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Ah okay, I’m a ‘92-‘97 noOb. Lol
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                          I actually tired to get addco to make our bars exactly as factory. They have a custom engineering group. Their presses don't have the tonnage to forge the flat tang as long as ours. For example, their g-body bar has only two small bosses forged flat 6" apart.

wonder if that wouldn't work though. Doesn't really need to have that whole tang flat, just needs to be flat where it sits against the bar and a flat spot where the bolt head is. Wonder if they could make the end basically D shaped with two flats for the mount bolts.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm a tool & die guy so I know they don't want to make the investment. The bolt holes are 3.5" apart on our arms. The engineer and I had several back and forth emails. Their tooling isnt modular, so they can't adjust that spread. This is basically why they made brackets to support the #650 bar and called it #324. Here is the PDF they sent me a while back.
                            324.pdf
                            Last edited by JeffBoudah; 11-02-2021, 07:46 PM. Reason: pdf

Comment

hm, in that case maybe take that same basic design, but attached to angle iron instead of flat for the adapter. If thats the 92-97 bar its probably about the right dimensions already.

Comment

Working...
                              X