Help! Wiring confusion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Wiring confusion....

So I am trying to install an aftermarket radio. I have the correct wiring kit to bypass the amplifier. The power plug is confusing to me. The car power plug has different colored wires and I have no clue what goes where.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211102_022227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1305823
    This is the car plug

Name:	20211102_021941.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1305824
    And this is the wiring harness

Name:	20211102_061854.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1305825
    Question is, which color goes to where?
    1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

The pinout that came with the adapter harness will tell you. It may not use all of the wires and that's fine. Connect the adapter harness and use those wire colors to match up to the radio. Looks like you have the grounds populated on that factory harness so you won't have to worry about grounding the case to the metal of the dash. No worries there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

But the colors on the plug don't match the harness at all. That's why I'm asking. Not even one color. If I would know what does what on the car plug, I could match it to the harness. I know what each color does on the harness.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

colors on the harness usually will match the radio, not the factory harness. I don't happen to have an evtm in front of me to tell you whats what though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes they do match the radio. I basically need to know which color from the factory harness matches the aftermarket harness...

Comment

don't worry about the wires in the car. You only need to worry about the pin position on the plug. If the car side doesn't have a wire in that position, no worries about connecting the radio side. Use the adapter harness and match those up to the radio harness and you should be fine. Car side colors will never match. Every car maker uses different colors. That doesn't matter. The wire positions are what matters. Don't fixate on the colors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thank you very much. I guess it's my OCD flipping out over this [emoji23] I am almost there with the installation but I can't open the screw for the backseat (top) This needs some man-muscle [emoji23] that means I will have to cook a German meal for my roommate [emoji23]

Comment

I had to use a breaker bar with a cheater stick the first time I removed the back seat from my 93. Those bolts were IN TIGHT. Impact wrench wouldn't budge it. After the breaker bar moved it... the impact managed to power it out.

Comment

honestly you might want to skip trying to pull that. I've broken several torx sockets trying. The bolt goes through the floor and pokes out the back side so its often pretty corroded. At a minimum I'd suggest going underneath to wire brush off the rust and give it a soak with oil for a few days before trying. When they haven't been out in 25+ years in a part of the world that deals with salt and snow it makes for not a fun time.

you can usually fish wiring underneath of the insulation to get from the trunk to under the rear seat if you unfold a coat hanger and poke it through as a fish tape. Takes less time than trying to get the rear seat back out.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    honestly you might want to skip trying to pull that. I've broken several torx sockets trying. The bolt goes through the floor and pokes out the back side so its often pretty corroded. At a minimum I'd suggest going underneath to wire brush off the rust and give it a soak with oil for a few days before trying. When they haven't been out in 25+ years in a part of the world that deals with salt and snow it makes for not a fun time.

you can usually fish wiring underneath of the insulation to get from the trunk to under the rear seat if you unfold a coat hanger and poke it through as a fish tape. Takes less time than trying to get the rear seat back out.
                    Being in the south... I always forget about this angle. We usually just have some dirt on it and that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X