Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter?

I’ve been having this issue when I drive the car for a while it’ll have a slow crank. Once it starts it runs perfect. And when it’s cold it cranks nice and fast it’s just when it’s hot. Do you guys think it’s the starter? I have a 52” I think 4 ga cable I was going to run in parallel to the stock cable to see if it’s the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll find it's the cables. The ground cable seems to turn to green crust inside on my cars. Measure the voltage drop on the power and the ground cables and see what you find before buying or bypassing anything.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

check cables first, and pay particular close attention to the ground. I had some slow crank problems and it was actually the eye on the ground cable. The cheap ones are steel and they rust inside causing bad connections with the copper wire. Voltage drop from battery - to block and voltage drop across the cables will tell you. Voltage drop across the relay would be worth checking too just because its easy.

if you have to replace cables, get ones with ends that aren't steel. Better ones are tinned copper or brass. A magnet will tell you.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds good guys thats. The positive cable and block to negative cable are new, that’s the only one I haven’t replaced yet. I’m sure 34 years hasn’t been kind to the cable.

Comment

The one I had problems with wasn't very old either, just wasn't good quality. Something I've learned the hard way is to not make any assumptions. Test everything even if its new. Sometimes especially if its new.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Smart thinking. I really didn’t want to swap starters anyway. Most parts Ford used back then were quality, nowadays it’s a lot of junk.

Comment

Working...
            X