Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Issues & My Intake Manifold | 1998 MGM | Class Action Replacement

Briefly;

I'm back and my mechanic is going to remove my 'stuck' ( the key was lost/ misplaced ) wheel nut locks this week using his own special technique, so to be continued on that issue. The reason I am writing this tonight is I may forget it in the construction noise here tomorrow. Briefy, I noticed online that Ford / Lincoln Mercury has a legal action ( class action lawsuit ) against them regarding the use of defective and leaky composite intake manifolds. I did email one legal firm about mine but never received an email or phone call.

How do I approach this and can I at this point? My 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis is cracked and leaking ( materials failure ) and needs to be replaced vs. patched with sealers & J&B weld etc. Can you recommend a course of action if I still have one? I'm on the back side of San Francisco Bay in that University Town. Has anyone ever done this and if so how do I being this process? I know the lawyers are wealthy but us owners are frequently lost in the dust.

Best;

_Hacksaw himself

p.s. I turned off the updates or replies as per the endless copies so if it's important just email me before I am able to check back and in to see what is what here.

That class action settlement was completed in 2005. Ford extended coverage on the intakes for up to seven years after the initial purchase of the vehicle. In both instances, there’s no recourse for anyone except doing a intake manifold replacement. That whole debacle covered the original, all plastic coolant crossover design. The replacement design had an aluminum coolant passage.

If you can, get a Ford replacement intake versus a Dorman one. The quality of the materials are much better.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

[submitted 2 minutes late] =-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        That class action settlement was completed in 2005. Ford extended coverage on the intakes for up to seven years after the initial purchase of the vehicle. In both instances, there’s no recourse for anyone except doing a intake manifold replacement. That whole debacle covered the original, all plastic coolant crossover design. The replacement design had an aluminum coolant passage.

If you can, get a Ford replacement intake versus a Dorman one. The quality of the materials are much better.

X2 on the Ford replacement. And DO NOT buy any of the $100 dollar ones on E-BAY. If your hardware is questionable, but it directly from Ford. I just did the intake, and hardware on my 2010 Town Car. While I was in there, I also did the heater pipes, and hoses, along with the water pump, T-stat, and housing. You can only access the main heater pipe while the intake is out, so even if it looks good, it's cheap insurance just to replace it, and the block connector.

MIKE

Comment

Whoa! This just in from the Ford dealership in Napa CA. She looked up my car via my VIN # and told me that the replacement intake manifold that replaced that old one has been discontinued. She had no idea of how long. Is there another option vs. the plastic cheap things?

_Hacksaw

Comment

This was sort of the conclusion that we had come to in a somewhat recent thread (the non-PI intake has been discontinued).

One option would be to install the PI intake like I did on my '98 MGM when I replaced the factory intake last year. One problem with this is if you do not do it yourself it's difficult to find someone who will because it's not a direct replacement. Some info on the kit I bought: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post841172 and you would have to buy the heater tube for a 2001+ (the one I ordered, I believe I looked up 2009 on RockAuto.)
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

F8AZ-9424-AAA was the part number for the replacement suite for the nPI intake. It includes the revised aluminum crossover along with the replacement bracketry for the alternator.

Now if any of the dealers can find it for you, that's a good guess.

The PI intake manifold can be swapped on like VicCrownVic said, but does require a few minor modifications to get fitted properly. However, it does offer a bit more "oompf" compared to the factory intake.

My Cars:
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

This just came up for $65. used ( new in the used box ) on Amazon. Think it will work? Be good to have this when the time arrives and the sealers no longer work.

Just thinking ahead here: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Therm...+Grand+Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by _Hacksaw View Post
                  This just came up for $65. used ( new in the used box ) on Amazon. Think it will work? Be good to have this when the time arrives and the sealers no longer work.

Just thinking ahead here: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Therm...+Grand+Marquis
                  Cheapie Dorman clone. You can use it, just keep an eye on it. Some folks have had issues getting them to seal properly around some of the intake ports.

My Cars:

Comment

Well just to make 100% certain that I have a quality replacement, I just ordered this critter for $70.00 + with shipping included and it will arrive Friday so I can just store it and then collect any and all information on what needed when it's time arrives to replace this guy. I'll need a second pair of hands due to my terrible back and this inflammatory arthritis etc. but it can be dome with extreme patience and careful disassembly etc. Maybe this spring? In California that means January Damn that beautiful MGM and the Colony Park that the Kodachrome Wolf has? It's almost not fair

I'l be sure to obtain the *best* intake gasket made on planet earth for this thing and hope that all will be well with all of the rest of this vehicle, however as with all human relationships, there is always the element of the unforeseen and unpredictable.

_Hacksaw

Comment

No gasket required for the Dorman intake you linked to on Amazon. It has built in gasket/o-ring things.

As for the procedure, it definitely would suck with a bad back. Lots of leaning over fenders taking stuff apart.
                      Some people say that this is an all weekend/few day job. It took me 9 hours with help, but I also was doing some modification (PI intake install) and waiting for RTV to (partially) cure that you will not have to do.
                      The job is basically a big puzzle. Just take things apart and try to remember how it goes back together. Sometimes I had to take things apart again because there was a certain order that the brackets went on. You need to removed the windshield wiper cowl to gain access to much of the bolts and connections on the back of the engine. The most frustrating part for me was the stupid bracket(s?) on the rear driver side of the engine. I had that stupid thing on and off a few times because there a couple of brackets there and the order the go back on should be the same as they came off, but I may have forgotten what order they came off or that one was even there.

If your top alternator bracket does not line up right, you may need to drill new holes in it to line up with the bolts.

Ordering new fuel injector o-rings would be a good idea. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/.../+o-ring,13679

Also new o-rings for the heater tube at the front of the engine if you want to replace them would be worth doing. Those o-rings don't seem to be sold separately, but if you grab a box of assorted o-rings it will likely have what you need for that connection if you want to replace those o-rings.

Also, here is a ChrisFix video on the PI intake swap on a Mustang 4.6. Some of the PI Specific modifications can be ignored and some of the minor details are different on an MGM/CV/LTC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beSV_jZxR5o
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-09-2021, 03:22 PM.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Some differences in that video:
                        The Mustang does not have the aggravating bracket(s) on the rear driver side of the engine/intake.
                        The EGR is on the other side and the plenum is reversed. There are more brackets that hold the throttle cables on the rear of the intake. The coolant tube mounts to the other side of the engine (passenger side on a panther.)

And a bit off topic, the gradual increase in drill bits in that video was discussed in another thread recently. You will not need to do that step (I didn't have to either) but, for anyone who does need to do that step, drill the pilot hole then go straight to the desired drill bit size.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I did the Dorman swap on my '08 car, but did not have it long thereafter, so I can't speak to the longevity of those parts.

I do know that the long bolt on the t stat housing snapped off in the cylinder head which was a real PITA. Be careful of that one. It was a rusty car with 220K miles, so maybe that had something to do with it. Overall though, this is a fairly simple repair that I feel most novices could handle at home. I appreciate the fact that the modular cars don't have an open valley which swallows coolant into the crankcase.

If its a car you plan to keep (like my current '06 MGM), I would buy bite the bullet and buy Ford parts. That's what I intend to do when my develops a leaks.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

When I recently chose to replace the one on the 96 CV, I looked for a genuine stock Ford part. Prior to 98, Ford has stopped making them. Aftermarket was the only reasonable solution. I would have bought the Ford PI intake but I was warned about leakage. Some people have luck with them, most do not. I ended up with a aftermarket intake with a lifetime warranty. All the other associated parts like water pump etc were genuine Ford.

Comment

Breaking News Here: The aftermarket intake manifold arrives minus thermostat

Thursday the new 'Made in China' intake replacement arrived via Amazon used. It's apparently missing the thermostat and some seals but generally it's
                              here. Photographs to follow via my iphone. What's good is that I just checked everything in the engine bay and in the trunk ( still trying to locate the missing wheel lock key ) and all is well, though I can see a leak of coolant fluid around # 4 cylinder near the passenger side front on the manifold. Still nothing dripping. So it's good I have something to play with and make plans for, also the weather here is stunning fall weather and I'll post photos. God knows we pay for it here?!!!

Better news: After a phone call I located an emergency assistance company to help with my outstanding PG&E bill here. I have some forms to fill out and was hesitant to mention how much was due ( about $500 plus ) however she told me that most people who call in this pandemic are into 4 figures now! So no problem with mine. HEAP program local.

I"ll post photos later of the parts that arrived including the screws etc. still a good thermostat plus both seals is nothing and maybe you can direct me to the best of the best of choices in this matter. There is that missing black thermostat "O" ring thing also.

More to follow later.

_Hacksaw

Comment

Working...
                              X