Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front bumper

Will a 1979 mercury marquis front bumper fit a 1987 crown Vic wagon

The bumper itself is the same size, but the spacing of the bumper guards and thickness of the stone guards are different between the two cars. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Some of those late 87 cars got the Mercury bumper anyway. 79 bumper would have the cool ports and center tag too. The wagon bumper may be aluminum vs steel on a sedan. All in all - potentially very different minor things but it will bolt on and look the same to most people.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Do the ports on the 79-81 front bumpers actually flow air back to the condenser/radiator? Or are they just for looks? On my 84 wagon the bumper support is solid so even if the chrome bumper cover had holes, no air would make it to the radiator....

Also - it appears only the 1985 Wagons had the aluminum bumpers? And maybe the 1988 and later wagons? I wasn't clear form the info on the site...

Thanks!
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I'm running an 80-81 Mercury bumper on my 85 Ford wagon. All of the front bumpers on 79-87 Ford/Mercury Panthers will swap with the "gotchas" noted already. I think Lincoln bumpers might even look sorta alright too, but have never mocked that combo up yet.

Note that the faux vents are also spaced differently between Ford and Mercury, and the appearance of the grille inserts inside the holes differs between Ford and Mercury as well. As noted, 79 is the only year with accommodations for centre-mount front license plate bracket. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that accommodation includes a "dented in" spot, which in a non-front-plate jurisdiction might be seen as a blemish if you're picky.

My car's original front bumper was steel. It is my understanding that wagon rear bumpers were only produced in aluminum, which is maybe what you were reading drhill.
            The vents are not functional but if you felt like it really was necessary you could do some chopping.
            I believe our rads get most of their airflow under the bumper anyway, though.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Thanks Kishy I thought I read that some wagons got aluminum front bumpers? I have an 86 Ford Wagon in my local jyard and may have to check for aluminum if it's even a possibility. The ford and mercury bumpers look really similar. I need weight and airflow if possible...running an intercooler for my turbo right behind the bumper and drag race it a bunch...saving 40-50 lbs on the nose would be helpful!
              1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Working...
              X