kishy's 2004 Focus - Another Parts Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to misrepresent anything here, so to be very clear:

The red Focus had been outside for about a month, absent of a hood, rear hatch, and side door glass. It was absolutely an eyesore and I wouldn't expect people to put up with that for long. However, the car was not visible from any angle from the street, only visible from one neighbour on one side, and he is not the neighbour who complained. In fact, the neighbour who complained doesn't even live on my street, nor does his property abut mine on any side.

In addition to the Focus, other things called out by the bylaw officer included a chest freezer (awaiting warm weather to be powerwashed before bringing inside to use), a toilet (legit trash, no excuses there), and some wood scraps such as replaced rotten fence posts, waiting to have a full(er) trailer load to take to the dump. All items were not visible from the street and I had discussed with the one neighbour who did have visibility, and he had no concerns. He's 86 and seems to live vicariously through some of my projects, I think. Gonna miss him.

In Ontario, the Municipal Act affords a variety of rights to municipalities. It's a very lengthy Act with many sections dealing with hundreds of topics. One of those rights is for the municipality to establish bylaws relating to what defines refuse and what requirements the municipality has relating to refuse. Inoperable motor vehicles or parts for them are considered refuse in my municipality's applicable bylaw. A vehicle can be deemed inoperable because it obviously is (e.g. the Focus) but can also be deemed inoperable because its license plate stickers have expired. The municipality has no reasonable or justifiable basis to require me to put liability insurance on a vehicle stored** on my property, but if they want to mandate some form of proof that the vehicle can be operated on a road, I suppose that's one way of doing it. Anyway, enforcement of all this stuff is pretty much reactive and complaint-driven.

3 of my other vehicles did have expired stickers. Only one, the furthest-back expired, was called out by the bylaw officer. I renewed all of the expired ones to avoid further difficulties. There is some funny irony here because Ontario has announced it is eliminating license plate stickers and going to fully-digital validation of plate/registration status and I will get a full refund on all of the newly-purchased stickers. It's anyone's guess at this point how the bylaw may need to change to accommodate this. It very well may not change until someone receives a bylaw order and takes it to court because the stickers thing is gone.

All of that being said: I am "that guy", and there's no getting around it. That being said, the complaint originated from someone who had no knowledge of any actual violations on my property. He complained because of the Panthers (and sure, some had expired stickers, but he didn't know that), not the Focus, and the bylaw officer identified the actual violations that the complaining party didn't even know about.

I had it coming.

**: I think a lot of this results from this specific word, "stored". The city is very opposed to any type of "storage" of anything taking place on residential properties, and I think this ties in with hoarding regulations. Essentially, if it is an object and it isn't reasonably in some degree of active use, they don't want it on your property. I can't say I agree with this way of thinking but I understand where it originates from and I also understand the municipality is acting within its legally-established authority. If I don't like it, I must move somewhere that won't care. In reality, all inhabitable areas of Ontario are now amalgamated into some nearby municipality and I'm sure every municipality has rules kinda-sorta like this. But, I do believe enforcement is lax-to-none if you're outside of something resembling an actual town.
    Last edited by kishy; 04-01-2022, 10:26 AM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

All makes my point - if the person who complained had no knowledge of your violations then why make a complaint? He either saw "something" of someone said something to him. While you "may be the guy" it still does not entitle him to complain if he had no connection to your property. Still, you probably have no wish to turn your property into a copy of "Sanford and Son's" junk yard.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Time to setup a camera in your window overlooking your driveway/storage area and see who is snooping on your property. Then pay them a friendly visit to remind them they are tresspassing.

Comment

Can't you keep the expired vehicles or parts vehicles covered up ? No logical complaint if the "violation" can't been seen. Another possibility would be put up a fence so no one can see behind it.
          In our town we have similar rules. The worst is a person who was "grandfathered" in before the regulations were made.
          He must have a dozen parts vehicles outside.

Comment

Each time I got a complaint, it was the same day. I've learned what needs to happen if I do take on a new project- I've got to get the car registered with new tires on it ASAP (If it doesn't have any or the ones on it are dead) or put it such that the plate is right up against my garage door or another registered and running vehicle. Also, any obvious work I'm doing (say if the vehicle is on jack stands) must be complete by 9 AM the following day. Also, if I'm going to work on a vehicle during the week, it's best to start after 3PM, as the inspector will not investigate any new complaints until the following day.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
            X