Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 mgm rear drum brakes 5.0

Gents!

Is there a way to determine what brake shoes I need to order without actually removing my Turbine Wheels?
    Leave it to Ford to have built the car with two different size brake drum/shoes;-(

Thanks per usual in advance.

if you don't have a tow package, station wagon, or police car, its a pretty solid bet you have the 10" drums. Otherwise, 11".
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      if you don't have a tow package, station wagon, or police car, its a pretty solid bet you have the 10" drums. Otherwise, 11".
      Many thanks Thain, (did I spell that correctly?) One other thing, the rear wheel cyls do not leak, should I 'hone' them regardless?

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
        Many thanks Thain, (did I spell that correctly?) One other thing, the rear wheel cyls do not leak, should I 'hone' them regardless?
        wheel cylinders are incredibly inexpensive, I would just buy the best new ones you can find. You'll probably be out $20-25 for both of them
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yes I would replace the wheel cylinders AND the brake hardware. With the harsh weather we get, the old hardware can rust or break.

Comment

I haven't rebuilt a wheel cylinder in 25 years. and they leaked because the bores were too pitted.

Replace everything with new parts.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I don't know what your timeline for this work is, but RockAuto is essentially impossible to beat for drum brake jobs.

Hardware kits for a dollar or two, wheel cylinders for 3-4 bucks, shoes for 10-15 bucks, even the drums themselves for about 20 each...all off the top of my head from past experience, but should be reasonably current.

It is easy to fall into the "you get what you pay for" trap and skip the cheap stuff, but this stuff ends up so cheap because it was once commonly stocked everywhere and has been liquidated because nobody buys it. Packaging commonly looks 20 years old on this stuff. Shoes are one area to be picky, of course. Old stock bonded shoes are bad news. Riveted would be fine though. Material choice and brand preference would also play in.
              Last edited by kishy; 11-21-2021, 08:06 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Gents I greatly appreciate the education. I will order (riveted) if available lining, wheel cyls, and new springs etc.

Comment

Working...
                X