source for ignition cylinder pins ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

source for ignition cylinder pins ?

I'd like to re-key the cylinder on my Mark VII so it matches the doors like it ought to. Unfortunately the original cylinder is not available so I can't just transfer the pins. Any idea where to obtain the pins that Ford key cylinders take? Should be the same cylinder a 90+ Panther takes. Don't know if they use different pins than the 80s ones or not.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

You can try Anixter.com. There is a lock pinning kit, ASP-A-42-111 that may work.
    I would just take the lock cylinder to a locksmith.Last time I had one done, it was not too expensive.

Comment

These perhaps. Seem to be ignition only not doors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13082540499...UAAOSwyQtV1Vqw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13265294329...bGFY5#viTabs_0
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I re-pinned my ignition cylinder to match my old key because i couldn't find a locksmith who knew how... if it is the same as the 80's one you can pick up any standard pin kit at lowes/home depot like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...2402/100173492

I just looked at the key, used the approximate size pins, and swapped them until the key went in all the way and turned it.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think the 90s ones use a rectangular slider thing, not the standard round pin that every other lock on the planet seems to use. Looks like those Ebay ones might be it, though they talk about a side-bar and a non-sidebar type and I don't know what that means.

finding people that know how to do anything around here is a major chore. Its to the point where I've basically given up trying to find people to do anything. usually they just don't know what I'm talking about since I'm always the guy that wants non-standard stuff.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok apparently its the shape of the slider thing. Found this on therangerstation. Non-sidebar is 02+

https://www.therangerstation.com/for...n-keys.179961/

'course they're talking 96+, which is a different cylinder. Rockauto says the one a 91 uses runs up to about 1995.

yet another one of those inverse Goldilocks things. I can find info on the old cylinders and the new, but the era I actually need info on seems to be a black hole.

Comment

That seems to be why we are all here.

I am going to guess they are pintype. I would let you borrow my pin sets but probably not worth shipping back and forth.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I guess the smart thing to do is just buy another cylinder to take apart, that way I know what I need, and if it all goes pear-shaped I haven't actually made the car not work.

Comment

and you could actually rekey the new cylinder so it is just a swap job.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I have lots of good used column switches from 90-92, one of them is black. On two of the ignition switches, I can remove the key once the car is started while its running. WagonMan
                    89 Colony Park
                    90 Colony Park
                    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

found an NOS Motorcraft of the exact type including proper Lincoln keys that appear to be un-cut blanks. With some luck the pins are in the box and I can just load it up to match my originals, plus get two proper key blanks to cut spares on. I have one original and one copy now.

Comment

If you want to sell one of the two uncut keys, let me know.

Comment

so they aren't uncut, kinda. They're partially cut. Apparently if you buy a replacement ignition cylinder, it comes cut on 1-4 and 6. If you have 5 and 7-10 cut to match the door, you now have a new set of keys that works the new ignition and the original doors. Handily the on in the car is of the same type so I could actually just have those keys re-cut to work the door cylinders.

anyway this is what they look like, its basically a flag shape. The V notch on the side is what controls the cut depth. They engage on a bar sticking out of the side of the cylinder, unless the notches all line up the bar sticks out and won't rotate in the housing.Click image for larger version

Name:	mark 7 lock pins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1289810

Comment

Yea they certainly are oddballs
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              so they aren't uncut, kinda. They're partially cut. Apparently if you buy a replacement ignition cylinder, it comes cut on 1-4 and 6. If you have 5 and 7-10 cut to match the door, you now have a new set of keys that works the new ignition and the original doors. Handily the on in the car is of the same type so I could actually just have those keys re-cut to work the door cylinders.

anyway this is what they look like, its basically a flag shape. The V notch on the side is what controls the cut depth. They engage on a bar sticking out of the side of the cylinder, unless the notches all line up the bar sticks out and won't rotate in the housing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]57247[/ATTACH]
                              The term for that is a "sidebar lock", if anyone's curious. GM pioneered them in automotive use back in the 1930s.

A crucial thing to note - you can only have the new ignition key cut to match the door key if position 6 (counted starting at the tip) is the same depth, as that's the one shared between the ignition and door. Ford had five different service parts for ignitions to match the five cut depths so the ignition lock could be replaced without affecting the door locks.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                              1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                              1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Working...
                              X