Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 MGM |Strange ECM Happenings | Possible Haunting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 MGM |Strange ECM Happenings | Possible Haunting!

OK how to put this? I had a beautiful California day to just take out my old 2.5 ton jack and raise up the Mercury Grand Marquis in this glorious warm California fall weather that feels like spring here. Briefly, I was able to lubricate all bushings on the front end and my grating squeak has temporary disappeared. However as with all such matters a 'ghost' arrived again today! This is to say that just by having my key in the ignition cylinder or better yet just raising it near the cylinder for the silly key, the air pump starts to charge! It's bizarre but has happened before with the damn engine off! Today I'm wondering if my ECM is haunted ot if there is something else going on? Anyone experience this and what the hell is going on? I mean how an car do this with the engine off and the yet no in the slot?

Confused in California;

_Hacksaw

If you're speaking of the air suspension compressor, there's a switch in the trunk to turn it off. It's supposed to be switched off before lifting the vehicle. The ECM has no control over the air suspension compressor.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

+1 on turning off the RAS.

If you hear the compressor running by itself once it's been on the ground and just sitting for a while then I'd start checking the system for leaks, starting with the air springs. My 03 had the pass. side spring start to leak and I would occasionally hear it run for a few seconds every now and then just sitting in the driveway. Rather replace the spring then a dead battery and a burned up compressor.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I see. There are two issues here. #1. Turn off the silly switch *before* lifting this car up. And then #2. There is probably a leak in one of two of the air shocks. I will fully monitor this anomaly as it's telling. BTw. there is a site on line I ran across not that long ago that sells rebuilt air shocks that are actually better than the originals made by Ford. I will carefully monitor this. It's all part of the game when dealing with these cars So I will pay fully attention to this issue now but not in a life and death way as per the seizing up of my front brake caliper that needs replacement ASAP. I forgot that when I raised this car up I used the middle of the vehicle and thus it took up the entire car and thus the rear end. I wanted to do this as this way I could use the crown of the street to my advantage verses fighting against it. One thing I did notice on the front suspension were the killer springs surrounding the shocks! I thought it might be more merciful up front with this issue vs. a spring compressor to replace the silly shocks? Noope! Got to be an easier way that going directly to hell like that?

_Hacksaw

Comment

If you’re considering front shocks in your future, the spring doesn’t need to come out. The shock simply passes through the center. Two bolts on the bottom of the control arm hold it in down there, and a single stud passes through up top near the control arm on each side.

Remove the upper nut, then the lower bolts, and the shock will come out. If they’re OE, you might have to use a wrench to hold the upper stud from turning while you attempt to break the nut free. They can be a little stubborn after years of not being disturbed.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

1. The factory air suspension on a ‘98 is only in the rear and it is air springs not shocks. You have normal shocks back there and air springs in place of the coil springs. The front is normal shocks and springs, no air suspension up there.

2. The air suspension system remains active for about an hour after you shut the car off and can and will make adjustments with or without the key in the ignition.

My ‘02 does it all time and there are no leaks in my system.
            Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-01-2021, 03:37 PM.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Wednesday in California: Yes, the weather is glorious and the beautiful babes with legs are out at cafes and shopping at the market. Incredible weather for any and all connection here. Before I stray way too far ( yes I stopped and chatted with the babe at the outdoor cafe there in the late afternoon sunlight ), there is nothing but good news about my suspension on the forum also. My deepest thanks to you fellows!!! I now know that my rear shocks are replaceable and come in two versions, air and regular shocks, and that I *can* replace the front shocks without removing those wild springs. That alone is where the major weight is in this entire dynamic and those I am going to replace ASAP as it should be easy vs. hellcamp with any coil compressors. I'm also aware now that the air shocks can and do charge on their own w/o any key in the ignition for about 1 hour after shutdown. That's very important to know and releases me from all sorts of worry. I"l also be sure to turn them off when lifting the car with my floor jack to prevent them from going nuts. So for now I'm back to chatting and flirting with the young babes here in our drought riddled California December weather.

Comment

The only manufacturer I know of is Arnott for good replacement air springs. I had to get one in a hurry for my 03 and didn't have the time to get the OEM Motorcraft ordered. So far it seems fine.

I did oreder the Ford part and have it for when the drivers side decides to leak. They were originally made by Firestone for Ford so pretty sure it'll last another long while once installed.
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I have seen replacement "air springs" made by Good Year too. That has been a few years ago. Maybe they still make them.

Comment

I can get both Arnott and Dorman through work. Neither are stocked but can be ordered, Arnott has a heavy duty version available with a solid aluminum piston as opposed to the factory plastic. I may go that route if I ever have to replace mine. My '01 Town car had been converted to coil springs and I converted it back, a previous owner left everything in place and unplugged the compressor. It took all of maybe 45 minutes to swap back to air springs, and the ride was much better than on the wagon coils they had put in there.
                    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                    X