No announcement yet.

84 Town Car - always high idle for about 10miles then everything normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..Isn't that just when you hit 'em with the laughing gas? Everyone says not to use ether on diesels, but I've yet to see one blow up from being bottle fed on cold mornings... In Australia there was a brand of ether called "Start 'ya Bastard". LoL.. That's the brand I'd have bought every time because that's pretty much my attitude once an ICE won't cooperate.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No problems on the 6.9!
      She always starts, except for last year when I had burnt the plugs. I had converted to a manual push-button glow plug system when I had gotten thr truck and overlooked that the 6.9s run 6 volt glow plugs for a faster warmup. No problem if you use the stock glow plug controller since itīs on/off cycle rate is matched to the 6V plugs. I however had latched the pushbutton a tad too long and burnt them through. New set of plugs and problem solved.

Mine is 4x4 and long box, too but Banks turbocharged. Got quite some pep although the injection pump and injectors are still the stock ones and probably at the end of their lifespan. New pump and injectors will do quite some improvement I bet but on a hefty price. As long as she goes and still pulls Iīll stick to the old pump.

The LS rear and 4x4 along with BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires make it a good ride in winter. Even with empty bed. Off road on hunting trips as well as roads.
      Last edited by Hillbillycat; 12-09-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Did check on the cam and lever setting. It has no affect on the problem. Neither does setting back the throttle kicker bracket a bit. (Remember I had adjusted that for higher curb idle when the engine stalled during sudden stops in summer)

The present high idle problem comes from lack of vaccum on the choke pulldown diaphragm. It does not retract until quite some time after the engine is hot. Then thereīs suddenly vacuum present. Same goes for vacuum on the throttle kicker.
        During the faulty high idle period you can hear an intermittent clicking, similar to what it sounds like when performing an KOEO test. I was not able to tell from where that came from. Neiter was I able to feel the clicking on the three solenoids on the driver side valve cover, EGR sensor, injectors or fuel pressure regulator with my fingers while that clicking was going on.

Do you think this is from a fault in the EECIV "computer"? Keeping it stuck on "elapsed high idle" hence cutting off voltage to the solenoid that controls choke pulldown and throttle kicker vacuum?
        I know of lytic caps going bad over time in there but had not read about this issue.

Comment

So the choke pull-off doesn't function correctly, and it's causing the choke to stay on?
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yes, exactly.

Comment

Well, you could try to clean the solenoid, it might've gotten gummed up after all the years.
              Other than that, you might be going down the rabbit hole. Unless the choke spring is wonky.

To circumvent the problem, you could just twist the choke cap counterclockwise so the choke will be completely out of use.
              For safety.

Comment

I don't know if you want to spend the money replacing them but the O'Reilly part number for the choke thermostat is CV237 and it is $37.99, the diaphragm for the choke pull of is CPA373 and it is $19.99. I'm going to do mine eventually it works fine when it's warm but when it gets cold it sometimes sticks a little bit.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                  I don't know if you want to spend the money replacing them but the O'Reilly part number for the choke thermostat is CV237 and it is $37.99, the diaphragm for the choke pull of is CPA373 and it is $19.99. I'm going to do mine eventually it works fine when it's warm but when it gets cold it sometimes sticks a little bit.
                  O'reilly PNs don't help much as Hillbillycat is from europe, like me. Also RockAuto has both parts available, and both are cheaper.
                  From what he wrote, the pull-off might be fully working, but not correctly. Most likely its not a mechanical issue per se, but related to the choke pull-off control. If it's not getting vacuum correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    O'reilly PNs don't help much as Hillbillycat is from europe, like me. Also RockAuto has both parts available, and both are cheaper.
                    From what he wrote, the pull-off might be fully working, but not correctly. Most likely its not a mechanical issue per se, but related to the choke pull-off control. If it's not getting vacuum correctly.
                    I see, Hillbillycat doesn't have his location listed so I wasn't sure and figured I'd just post the information.
                    Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-15-2021, 06:22 PM.
                    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      ..Isn't that just when you hit 'em with the laughing gas? Everyone says not to use ether on diesels, but I've yet to see one blow up from being bottle fed on cold mornings... In Australia there was a brand of ether called "Start 'ya Bastard". LoL.. That's the brand I'd have bought every time because that's pretty much my attitude once an ICE won't cooperate.
                      If your glow plugs don't work, ether isn't so bad. The issue is if the glow plugs work it can cause the ether to ignite long before the piston comes close to TDC and its really bad on the rod bearings. When half the plugs in the Conti were dead it wouldn't start below 45F without some help. I can tell you it sounds very unhappy being started with a snoot of starting fluid.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense now. I wasn't even thinking of that. But now that I have, all of the stuff I seen get hit with the laughing gas didn't have glow plugs.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Iīll rotate the choke housing then and see what happens.

Comment

Well, been a while but I finally figured out what was causing my symptoms:

Broken choke thermostat wire.

I had replaced the choke heater in the meantime but still hadnīt worked. Rotating to and fro and adjusting the high idle screw didnīt do the trick either. Then I traced the wire and checked for continuity. There it was - no continuity to the cap.
                            Ran new wire from alternator terminal to the cap and BINGO. Choke heats up like it should. Bimetal does itīs job and cam comes off the high idle step.

What a joy to drive now (ecxept for the current insane gas prices in Germany (9.28 $/gallon)

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X