Power front seat motor issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power front seat motor issues

So on my Lincoln the front seat motor that tilts the seat bottom up in the rear has gotten stuck at the top of its travel... making an awkward seating position all the time... I have banged on the motor with a rubber hammer while someone operated the switches but to no avail. The front seat bottom tilt works fine, it is just the rear tilt... any ideas as to how to get it working again?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Probably need to take the gearset apart and check for bits clogging up the works. Clean and re-lube. The only other issues could be a dead motor, dead spot on the brushes/commutator on that motor, or a wire came loose. I've had the loose wire issue on the passenger side of my 93 once.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

are you sure its mechanically jammed and not just the switch being stupid? If the lights don't dim when you hit the switch, its probably not even trying. When I got mine, the switch only worked in the wrong directions. I could make the car less comfortable but thats it. Took the switch apart and fished paper between each of the contacts to clean it, problem went away.

if you pull the switch out, push on the axles of the switch paddles to get them to come out. Once those are out, remove the rubber cover and you can get into the contacts. Strips of regular paper dipped in alcohol should be all you need to clean it. I've never had much luck just spraying them with contact cleaner. That also dissolves all the grease which makes a mess.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        are you sure its mechanically jammed and not just the switch being stupid? If the lights don't dim when you hit the switch, its probably not even trying. When I got mine, the switch only worked in the wrong directions. I could make the car less comfortable but thats it. Took the switch apart and fished paper between each of the contacts to clean it, problem went away.

if you pull the switch out, push on the axles of the switch paddles to get them to come out. Once those are out, remove the rubber cover and you can get into the contacts. Strips of regular paper dipped in alcohol should be all you need to clean it. I've never had much luck just spraying them with contact cleaner. That also dissolves all the grease which makes a mess.
        You were correct sir! Both driver's and passenger's side switches were not making good contact and after fiddling with them for a few minutes they worked intermittently. I will clean up the contacts and hopefully have rear recline reliably working again! Thanks again man!
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
        X