New York City 'scum'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York City 'scum'

So, as most of you know my '86 MGM Tudor lives on the mean streets of New York City. And one has to always expect the worst shit to happen to ones ride!

So today I went out to the car and found the outside gas door laying on my trunk lid, so 'somehow' the lid was either ripped off or it fell off by itself. Now upon inspecting the underside of the door I found on the top and bottom some kind of industrial mastic or blue colored glue that had turned hard over what must be years. I surmise that the previous owner had the outside door glued to the inside swinging hinge metal structure.
    My question is how did Ford originally secure this outside door to the inside swinging hinge assembly? Second question: Can I do as the previous owner did and just glue the door back on the hinge? If so what kind of glue/adhesive should I purchase?.....and will the low temperatures now prevalent in NYC affect the ability of the glue to work?
    Many thanks in advance for all your thoughts and suggestions as to how I can get the door back on.

I believe Ford used a sealant around the door/ hinge. You could use gorilla glue. I am looking at tube of clear now. Best used in temps between 50-90 F. I would think the set up time would be longer. I would let it set for one day.
    It is paintable when dry. Another option is to replace the whole assembly but the color more than likely won't be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      I believe Ford used a sealant around the door/ hinge. You could use gorilla glue. I am looking at tube of clear now. Best used in temps between 50-90 F. I would think the set up time would be longer. I would let it set for one day.
      It is paintable when dry. Another option is to replace the whole assembly but the color more than likely won't be similar.
      Tom thanks for your thoughts, as the temps here in NYC are in the low 30's, I would think no glue would be able to cure as recommended. Candidly I had no idea that the entire assembly was/is available as an entire unit. I was able to grind off all the glue from the inside surface of the outer door skin, but the same glue crap is on the swing hinge assembly, that will be a problem to remove as I do not have any portable power tools.

Comment

What color? I have a few assemblies. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
          What color? I have a few assemblies. WagonMan
          Color of car is "Sand Beige"..........but the door skin could always be painted with some SEM paint in a can.

Many thanks!

PS.......Any special tools needed to R&R the door skin to the swinging hinge assembly?......LOL does a body shop have to do this?
          Last edited by Toploader; 12-08-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Pete, I have the kind that opens via a switch/button in the glove compartment.

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned that you have the release button type, it is different than your standard gas lid door. I have one with that option in brown, but as you said, it can be painted to match your car. Basic tools to change it out, but it is something that has to be adjusted to fit. If you want to take a road trip, I can install it for you. I can also prep the gas lid door, (sand and primer it for you).

As far as fixing yours, it looks like the door is spot wended to the bracket. Pete
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I know nothing about how the factory attachment works, but I'll bet you could stick it back on (without welding which may necessitate body work post-install) using seam sealer, windshield urethane, or another similarly rugged adhesive that you can "build up" substantially, applied somewhere warm after letting the metal and adhesive product come up to temperature.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I added the release button to mine the only difference was my door (hinge arm) did not have the latch piece on it. Swapped that onto mine from the '86 donor. Other than that they are the same with or without the release feature. Halfway through this post: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post799922 (the fotofuckit pics aren't that great. :/ )
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Pete I just left you a voice message on your phone, and I left my home number here in NYC.

Door was glued

Comment

Working...
                    X