PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Project Green Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested, I posted a preview tour of the car on my YouTube channel... it's mid-project here... between Christmas and New Year's.

Also sorry in advance to anyone that watches it... the video quality... is.... pretty top notch by 2004 standards.
    REALLY enjoyed your video! Not only did this preview show off some of the car but your enthusiasm really came through. Too bad you have to pull the vinyl roof. Give extra class to the car but it appears in nice shape and LOVE the color. Would not worry too much about the brakes as drums will stop well, under most conditions. As long as the master cylinder is a duel as opposed to a single I'd be ok with it. Best of luck with it and do keep us informed.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Thanks for the kind words!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Sorry for the long delay in updates. Work has progressed, but mostly just continuing with some minor bodywork (random metal patches where needed). Have also removed the adhesive from the old vinyl top (mostly) and have welded in the holes for the vinyl roof trim. Fenders should be going out for media blasting and primer sometime this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220604_095814.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	58060

Name:	20220604_123203.jpg 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	58061

Name:	20220604_163018.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	58062

Name:	20220604_163022.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	58063

Name:	20220702_183618.jpg 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	58064

Name:	20220702_183637.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	58065

Name:	20220702_183651.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	58066
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

fomoco panthers !

Did you use a chemical adhesive remover? If so what brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Did you use a chemical adhesive remover? If so what brand ?
    Lacquer thinner on a rag. Let the rag sit for a minute on the spot. Scrape adhesive off with a razer blade. Comes off nice and easy with a little bit of pressure.

While I'm scraping the rag is soaking another spot. Repeat for approx. 1.5 hrs.

I use a handle that the blade sits in. It's easier on the fingers that way.

I do not recommend this process if you're keeping the paint though. I'm doing a respray so I wasn't too concerned. I would attempt to catch drips before they hit the paint, just in case. I believe it's easier to sand paint that hasn't been softened by paint thinner, so always had clean dry rags on hand to soak up wayward drips and streaks.

I'm going to post a video on my YouTube channel that shows the process at some point. Will link to it from this thread.

Ok, mini-update here.

Have ordered an aluminum radiator with stock-style stamped tanks, which I will paint black so it will look ok when the hood is open. Stuck with a 20-inch because I'm never going through the headache of adding AC to this car.

Have also ordered a re-build kit for the Holley carb, so will tackle that as soon as it arrives.

I have a line on a new Performer intake and a gasket kit, so will hopefully have that in hand soon as well. Was supposed to pick up yesterday, but timing didn't work out.

And finally, have ordered new lug nuts since I'm missing a few and many of mine look old/possibly original. Will put the new ones on so they look uniform, but will keep the oldies for posterity.

That's it for now! Will update as things progress!

Very underrated car in my opinion. I like those years better than the mustang

My Walmart lug nut order got cancelled by the 3rd party supplier! Knew their price was too good to be true. Must have realized their mistake and smashed that 'stop the presses' button when my order went through. This is the second time that's happened to me! (the other was for some trading card top loaders)

Guess I'm really good at finding the good deals... just not so good at actually getting the deal to close!

Will have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Anyone know any decently priced suppliers that operate in/ship to Canada?

May or may not help, but doesn't RockAuto ship to Canada? They list a Dorman replacement for $0.29 each in packs of 20. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l,lug+nut,7676

Ordered! Thanks. I haven't been going on Rockauto a lot lately because the shipping has been pretty high. These turned into a decent deal though (in Canadian about $7+ tax in parts and $21 in shipping lol) still better price than buying from the Canadian Tire.

Hey everyone! Posted a video on youtube that gives an overview of some of the patch work and clean up that's been happening on the kitty.

Can access it here if you're interested.

I've also ordered a whole load of suspension parts to restore the perished bits and pieces, including pretty much every bushing. Also bought new control arms, strut rods and tie rods. I'm converting the lower control arms and strut rods to 1968-73 style. 1967 was a 1 year only set up. The strut rods were articulated on the Cougar that year and the control arms were designed specifically to mate up to those 1 year only strut rods. In 1968 they changed them over to the mustang set up that was used until the Mustang II was produced. Figure this sets me up for more success in the future should I ever need to replace anything.

I didn't know about the strut rods being different from the Mustangs. Interesting setup.

Progress can be slow but it's worth it in the end!

As far as your undercoating goes, a good portion of was likely factory but not down on the lower control arm like that. Someone added some I guess. The factory stuff is a sound deadener. Apparently can contain asbestos, so look out. It goes all on the top underside of the fenders as well to help keep rocks from making outward dents in the top of the fender. I used two layers of lizard skin sound deadener followed by a 3M undercoating of some kind. It seems to do the job minus the asbestos.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I didn't know about the strut rods being different from the Mustangs. Interesting setup.

Progress can be slow but it's worth it in the end!

As far as your undercoating goes, a good portion of was likely factory but not down on the lower control arm like that. Someone added some I guess. The factory stuff is a sound deadener. Apparently can contain asbestos, so look out. It goes all on the top underside of the fenders as well to help keep rocks from making outward dents in the top of the fender. I used two layers of lizard skin sound deadener followed by a 3M undercoating of some kind. It seems to do the job minus the asbestos.
    Was unaware of the asbestos! Good to know. Will definitely make sure to have my respirator on going forward. I was going to scrape it all off, but think I will keep the stuff on the floor to help with sound deadening. Also, to keep my fenders from getting dinged up!

They are getting sandblasted as we speak, so may need to replace the undercoating with something else. Might not be an issue either since I'm going to be driving the car very little, but I don't want pock marks popping out of my fenders because I had to take a gravel road one day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12