1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Project Green Kitty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Great time to clean everything under and behind the seat. Find any treasure?
    Things are already pretty clean. Most of the mess you see in the on the IG post is from tools and other crap we needed to get the job done LOL!

Looks like someone installed a new carpet and took the liberty of cleaning everything up before we go in there. So not looking good on the treasure front.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

+1 on the rebuild. THAT is your treasure!!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Nice!
        I was into cougars before panthers. Owned a 72 std convertible, a 73 xr7 coupe, a 73 standard coupe. a 78 xr7, a 88 ls and a 77 xr7 parts car.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
          +1 on the rebuild. THAT is your treasure!!
          Haha, true true!

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          Nice!
          I was into cougars before panthers. Owned a 72 std convertible, a 73 xr7 coupe, a 73 standard coupe. a 78 xr7, a 88 ls and a 77 xr7 parts car.
          Very cool! I love the 71-73 style Cougs as well... especially the fact that they're a little wider than mine is... I'm sitting at around 270lbs so a little extra room wouldn't go unappreciated!
          ************************************************** ******************************
          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested, I posted a preview tour of the car on my YouTube channel... it's mid-project here... between Christmas and New Year's.

Also sorry in advance to anyone that watches it... the video quality... is.... pretty top notch by 2004 standards.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
              Just in case anyone is interested, I posted a preview tour of the car on my YouTube channel... it's mid-project here... between Christmas and New Year's.

Also sorry in advance to anyone that watches it... the video quality... is.... pretty top notch by 2004 standards.
              REALLY enjoyed your video! Not only did this preview show off some of the car but your enthusiasm really came through. Too bad you have to pull the vinyl roof. Give extra class to the car but it appears in nice shape and LOVE the color. Would not worry too much about the brakes as drums will stop well, under most conditions. As long as the master cylinder is a duel as opposed to a single I'd be ok with it. Best of luck with it and do keep us informed.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!

Comment

Sorry for the long delay in updates. Work has progressed, but mostly just continuing with some minor bodywork (random metal patches where needed). Have also removed the adhesive from the old vinyl top (mostly) and have welded in the holes for the vinyl roof trim. Fenders should be going out for media blasting and primer sometime this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_095814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1290419

Name:	20220604_123203.jpg
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1290420

Name:	20220604_163018.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1290421

Name:	20220604_163022.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1290422

Name:	20220702_183618.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1290423

Name:	20220702_183637.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1290424

Name:	20220702_183651.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1290425

Comment

Did you use a chemical adhesive remover? If so what brand ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      Did you use a chemical adhesive remover? If so what brand ?
                      Lacquer thinner on a rag. Let the rag sit for a minute on the spot. Scrape adhesive off with a razer blade. Comes off nice and easy with a little bit of pressure.

While I'm scraping the rag is soaking another spot. Repeat for approx. 1.5 hrs.

I use a handle that the blade sits in. It's easier on the fingers that way.

I do not recommend this process if you're keeping the paint though. I'm doing a respray so I wasn't too concerned. I would attempt to catch drips before they hit the paint, just in case. I believe it's easier to sand paint that hasn't been softened by paint thinner, so always had clean dry rags on hand to soak up wayward drips and streaks.

I'm going to post a video on my YouTube channel that shows the process at some point. Will link to it from this thread.

Comment

Ok, mini-update here.

Have ordered an aluminum radiator with stock-style stamped tanks, which I will paint black so it will look ok when the hood is open. Stuck with a 20-inch because I'm never going through the headache of adding AC to this car.

Have also ordered a re-build kit for the Holley carb, so will tackle that as soon as it arrives.

I have a line on a new Performer intake and a gasket kit, so will hopefully have that in hand soon as well. Was supposed to pick up yesterday, but timing didn't work out.

And finally, have ordered new lug nuts since I'm missing a few and many of mine look old/possibly original. Will put the new ones on so they look uniform, but will keep the oldies for posterity.

That's it for now! Will update as things progress!

Comment

Very underrated car in my opinion. I like those years better than the mustang

Comment

My Walmart lug nut order got cancelled by the 3rd party supplier! Knew their price was too good to be true. Must have realized their mistake and smashed that 'stop the presses' button when my order went through. This is the second time that's happened to me! (the other was for some trading card top loaders)

Guess I'm really good at finding the good deals... just not so good at actually getting the deal to close!

Will have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Anyone know any decently priced suppliers that operate in/ship to Canada?

Comment

May or may not help, but doesn't RockAuto ship to Canada? They list a Dorman replacement for $0.29 each in packs of 20. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l,lug+nut,7676
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ordered! Thanks. I haven't been going on Rockauto a lot lately because the shipping has been pretty high. These turned into a decent deal though (in Canadian about $7+ tax in parts and $21 in shipping lol) still better price than buying from the Canadian Tire.

Comment

Working...
                                X