No announcement yet.

1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Project Green Kitty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone! Posted a video on youtube that gives an overview of some of the patch work and clean up that's been happening on the kitty.

Can access it here if you're interested.

I've also ordered a whole load of suspension parts to restore the perished bits and pieces, including pretty much every bushing. Also bought new control arms, strut rods and tie rods. I'm converting the lower control arms and strut rods to 1968-73 style. 1967 was a 1 year only set up. The strut rods were articulated on the Cougar that year and the control arms were designed specifically to mate up to those 1 year only strut rods. In 1968 they changed them over to the mustang set up that was used until the Mustang II was produced. Figure this sets me up for more success in the future should I ever need to replace anything.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I didn't know about the strut rods being different from the Mustangs. Interesting setup.

Progress can be slow but it's worth it in the end!

As far as your undercoating goes, a good portion of was likely factory but not down on the lower control arm like that. Someone added some I guess. The factory stuff is a sound deadener. Apparently can contain asbestos, so look out. It goes all on the top underside of the fenders as well to help keep rocks from making outward dents in the top of the fender. I used two layers of lizard skin sound deadener followed by a 3M undercoating of some kind. It seems to do the job minus the asbestos.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        I didn't know about the strut rods being different from the Mustangs. Interesting setup.

Progress can be slow but it's worth it in the end!

As far as your undercoating goes, a good portion of was likely factory but not down on the lower control arm like that. Someone added some I guess. The factory stuff is a sound deadener. Apparently can contain asbestos, so look out. It goes all on the top underside of the fenders as well to help keep rocks from making outward dents in the top of the fender. I used two layers of lizard skin sound deadener followed by a 3M undercoating of some kind. It seems to do the job minus the asbestos.
        Was unaware of the asbestos! Good to know. Will definitely make sure to have my respirator on going forward. I was going to scrape it all off, but think I will keep the stuff on the floor to help with sound deadening. Also, to keep my fenders from getting dinged up!

They are getting sandblasted as we speak, so may need to replace the undercoating with something else. Might not be an issue either since I'm going to be driving the car very little, but I don't want pock marks popping out of my fenders because I had to take a gravel road one day.
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Hey everyone! I'm sorry for the lack of updates on this, but truth be told, there isn't much to say as there's been little progress since August.

I posted a video on YouTube outlining the latest and greatest:

https://youtu.be/C-V4QkZwz34

Have a watch and cringe as improvise my dialogue through this feeble update.

Comment

My guess is it will be looking SERIOUS when completed. Looking forward to more videos and best of luck with it!
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Hi everyone! Posted another video update for anyone who's interested. This one focuses on the underside of the car and looks at a couple of 1967 exclusive features.

Here's the URL to the vid:

https://youtu.be/7jjlYTzlVmc

Comment

Pretty darn nice underneath. I think I'd leave that unique strut rod setup alone if it's still doing its job well. I'm in the camp if don't fix it if it's not broken. Plus it's a cool feature of the 67.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

GREAT project and thanks for the updates!
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Finally had a chance to read through this thread.
                    You've got a very cool car there and it getting the respect a sweet cougar rates is nice to see.
                    Where are you going with the car? Like a restoration and show car, a super clean driver.. ?
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

I learned something from your video. The torque box missing on the passenger side and the strut rod. I had a 68 which as you pointed out, is different.

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone!

The goal of this car is to make it into a nice driver. Once the body is done, I have some work to do to fix up the suspension a bit and also deal with some cooling issues (headers = hot AF).

From there I'm going to upgrade to discs on the front.

After that, probably not much else! Just drive and enjoy. If it gets too perfect, I'm just sitting around waiting for things to break... anyone who owns an older car knows if you fix EVERYTHING you're asking for trouble LOL

Pretty darn nice underneath. I think I'd leave that unique strut rod setup alone if it's still doing its job well. I'm in the camp if don't fix it if it's not broken. Plus it's a cool feature of the 67.
                        Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty happy with the condition. I struggled with the idea of keeping the setup as is or updating (as opposed to upgrading) to the 68+ mustang set up. The problem is everything is worn out and parts availability is an issue. I'm keeping all of it and can always put it back if I'm able to properly restore it, I just need it to be a good driver in the meantime so will be installing the 68-73 lower control arms .

Comment

West Coast Classic Cougar has some great parts and customer service. They are pretty unique in the industry because they sell used stuff too, down to the smallest tidbit. Ordered several used oddball things from them that couldn't be sourced anywhere else, in addition to their new stuff.

They have a repro of that cool LCA. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...sionthemeid=26

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

West Coast Classic Cougar has some great parts and customer service. They are pretty unique in the industry because they sell used stuff too, down to the smallest tidbit. Ordered several used oddball things from them that couldn't be sourced anywhere else, in addition to their new stuff.

They have a repro of that cool LCA. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...sionthemeid=26
                            Yes! They are a great resource! Love their YouTube channel too which is most helpful.

I did see they had 1967 LCAs, as well as a few other suppliers, it was the strut rod that connects to it that seems to be made of unobtanium. The bushings are worn out on the articulating part of the strut rod on my car and no one seems to sell them (these guys included).

However, I will keep the original parts and restore them when I am able to. The steel is all good, just need new bushings and ball joints. In the meantime, I'll have the 68+ LCAs and strut rods on there as a stop gap.

Comment

Sorry for lack of updates the last couple of months. Been busy when able prepping for paint.

Should be ready to go in a week or two, then starts the long and arduous process of putting the car back together!

Comment

And paint has begun! A bit sooner than we thought but happy to be at this point!

Comment

Working...
                                X