Hunting leaks for a pond in the rear foot well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting leaks for a pond in the rear foot well

Was getting some things out of the seldom used passenger rear seat in my wagon the other day and found a small wetland in the foot well. I know the front doors both leak at the top due to poorly aligned doors, but it mainly drips on the seat/front footwells and isn't too bad. This was a huge amount of water and after shop vaccing the water out of the rear foot well it was wet again today (one day after vaccumming, heavy rain over night). I felt the carpet all around, driver side is all dry, and there was no wetness under any of the seats or at the base of the b pillar so I don't think it is just draining back from the front, but I could be wrong. Are there any common leak points that will soak out the rear foot wells?
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

rear door weather seals. But really, the most common thing is having water under the carpet up front drain back when on inclines or accelerating. Another common entry point is the fresh air vent if the drain gets clogged.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If its happening in the third row, I'd check the window seals and the roof rack where it screws into the roof.

Apparently that was an issue on my '87 prior to my ownership. The roof rack screws were letting water in since there was no sealer (or it had failed).

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

listening. sons car does same thing. Rear passenger well only.

I assumed it was leaking through the roof chrome trim piece and coming down the B pillar?
        1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Not sure how cold it is where you are, but you could have someone use a garden hose while you sit inside the vehicle and see if you can tell where it is leaking from?

Comment

The way back seats in the third row are pretty dry, occassionally some dampness if it gets blown at just the right angle against the crumbling body seal at the tailgate. I'll do some more looking to see if it is running from the front to the back. Does anyone have a good way to look for that without pulling up all of the carpet? I think my drains at the firewall are good because I resealed everything a little over a year ago with the AC work I did, and I didn't have any condensation draining into the cabin over the summer.

I do have to get some body shop work done to align all of the panels and the doors on the wagon as well as some paint touch up. The PO had it repainted and they did a pretty mediocre job
            1986 Country Squire
            1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

The bottom of the rear passenger door card was wet along with the scuff plate. The water might be migrating down the door jam and seeping in, or coming through the door. I checked the drains but they were clear. Ordering new door to body weatherstrip this week from LMR
              1986 Country Squire
              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                The bottom of the rear passenger door card was wet along with the scuff plate. The water might be migrating down the door jam and seeping in, or coming through the door. I checked the drains but they were clear. Ordering new door to body weatherstrip this week from LMR
                Just standard fox mustang weatherstrip?
                1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by mcb82gt View Post
                  Just standard fox mustang weatherstrip?
                  Yup, standard hatchback/coupe weatherstripping. Did mine last summer with Fairchild KF3005 from RockAuto. Cheap and good.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    Yup, standard hatchback/coupe weatherstripping. Did mine last summer with Fairchild KF3005 from RockAuto. Cheap and good.
                    Added Amazon link to the weatherstrip/dew-wipe sources thread. As with everything listed in that thread, use model numbers if the link is dead.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X