96 town car head unit options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 town car head unit options?

The 96 town car has a tape deck only. it does not have a cd changer in the trunk. pretty basic executive series.

What are my options for oem in dash cd head units?
    Does anyone have anything laying around?

not much in new aftermarket radio's right now with the chip shortage. crutchfield is out of everything.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

No OEM indash options only a 10 disc changer was offered. The radio in the TC is in the trunk. The Remote Chassis Unit. Your going to need a bypass harness if you go aftermarket. Metra 70-5601 is the harness you'll need provided you have the base stereo and not the JBL one which would have a DSP button on the upper righthand side.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

The 1996 Signature Series I looked at buying back in May had the single disc in dash CD player out of a 1998-2002 panther in it. I had the same unit in my 1995 Grand Marquis, granted the backlighting was green and didn't match the rest of the dash. I had to use a conversion harness which was easy to find online back in 2011. My 2001 Executive and 2003 Signature Town Cars had regular old factory radios in the dash the 2003 had the Alpine system, I don't know why 1996 would be different. My '95 Cadillac Eldorado on the other hand had everything in the trunk, the dash unit was basically just a faceplate.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

The radio tuner is in the trunk on this model. Pulled the radio out to confirm that.
        Wonder if the cd changer plugs into the harness somewhere in the trunk?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I have the following:
          A used Ford am/fm single cd unit. On the case it is stamped 2002. On the front cd slot it says CD-6. Unknown working details. Looks like it came from a wrecking yard. Don't remember how i obtained it. Double DIN.

I also have a NEW in the box Pioneer DXT-X2769UI cd receiver with 4 speakers. Nice unit. single din.

Used with the original box. Pioneer Radio cd model DEH120MP. Unknown working details. Single din

New in box Dual cd receiver with two speakers. Model XD 150HF. Single din.

Pictures/ prices provided upon request.
          Last edited by Mainemantom; 12-22-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            Wonder if the cd changer plugs into the harness somewhere in the trunk?
            If you have the JBL system then yes, . The RCU in your 96 is the same as the premium audio that the CV/GM got, premium in name only, flimsy speakers and not so great sounding. CD Changer wasn't a option on the base tier stereo. The JBL is alright though nothing to what a AM headunit and new speakers will sound like. Not sure I'd even bother with a CD Player when you can get a stereo that can play of off SD/USB these days.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            I have the following:
            A used Ford am/fm single cd unit. On the case it is stamped 2002. On the front cd slot it says CD-6. Unknown working details. Looks like it came from a wrecking yard. Don't remember how i obtained it. Double DIN.
            Double Din won't work on a -02 (save a small number of 02's that got the updated 03+ defrost duct). 1.5 Din will fit which is 2 din face then angles down to the rear to a single din.
            1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
            2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
              If you have the JBL system then yes, . The RCU in your 96 is the same as the premium audio that the CV/GM got, premium in name only, flimsy speakers and not so great sounding. CD Changer wasn't a option on the base tier stereo. The JBL is alright though nothing to what a AM headunit and new speakers will sound like. Not sure I'd even bother with a CD Player when you can get a stereo that can play of off SD/USB these days.

Double Din won't work on a -02 (save a small number of 02's that got the updated 03+ defrost duct). 1.5 Din will fit which is 2 din face then angles down to the rear to a single din.
              I don't have much digital music, lost my ipod when i moved.
              But i do have a lot of cd's.

It is looking like this car will get a system like the LSS has. I have 4 polk 6x8 speakers that were bought for the 2006 town car. Hope they fit.

Is Kenwood excelon still a decent head unit?

Comment

Excelons are still decent. The 6x8 will fit the front doors, but the rear might be 6x9. Might still fit anyhow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X