Alternator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Question

My friend has a 1987 Ford Tempo - 2.3L automatic. I put a new alternator in for him and it seems the last installer weakened or broke the mounting bracket for the lower bolt right at the threaded portion closest to the power steering reservoir. Not sure if the part can be "J-Welded" since it almost looks like pot metal. Anyone know what size nut fits that long bolt? Perhaps a washer and nut can be used to now secure the bolt back in. Presently, the alternator is only held in by the adjustment bolt on top and my fear is that although it currently works, it may not last and the belt will then get lose. Any information on this would be most appreciated!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Time to get another bracket from a junk yard. Most Tempo/Topaz models had the 2.3. If it isn't fixed properly, there will be nothing but problems. I would not want to do the job again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Time to get another bracket from a junk yard. Most Tempo/Topaz models had the 2.3. If it isn't fixed properly, there will be nothing but problems. I would not want to do the job again.
      The proper solution, indeed, but the chances of finding another bracket is pretty close to impossible. That is why I am trying to "MacGyver" a workable solution.

Comment

Have you looked on Ebay? I found a bunch of Ford 2.3 brackets. Don't know what yours looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          Have you looked on Ebay? I found a bunch of Ford 2.3 brackets. Don't know what yours looks like.
          Will give it a shot!

Comment

Any thoughts/info pertaining to my first post?

Comment

Didn't find any brackets on Ebay that will fit. Anyone know what size nut fits the lower long bolt? By the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL (that celebrate it, anyway)!

Comment

pull it and measure is probably the only way to get a proper answer. Not sure how many people on here have that specific knowledge for a Tempo.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  pull it and measure is probably the only way to get a proper answer. Not sure how many people on here have that specific knowledge for a Tempo.
                  True enough. Wonder if they used the same bolt on the larger engines (like a 5.0L)?

Comment

guessing no. The 302 is an old pre-metric motor and that bolt threads into the block so its SAE thread. If that threads into a bracket, pretty good chance its metric thread by the 80s. Wild guess, M10 but never had my hands on one.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1, take the long bolt to a hardware store and size it up with the bolt sizer or the nuts on the shelf.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll see what I have already but M10 may be correct. Thanks for all the input!!

Comment

Working...
                        X