Highest Quality Positive Battery Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highest Quality Positive Battery Cable

OK guys - survey time. Which is the highest quality positive battery cable. Looking for "0" or "2" gauge and it is for a '88 CV.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Here is a picture of what was used on my LTC when the alternator upgrade was done. Wire is 7mm plus casing. I think that equates to about 1 gauge wireClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1289878

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Here is a picture of what was used on my LTC when the alternator upgrade was done. Wire is 7mm plus casing. I think that equates to about 1 gauge wire[ATTACH=CONFIG]57336[/ATTACH]
      Looks "healthy"! Wonder what make it is?

Comment

The cable came with the alternator package. I have the receipt if you need more information. I believe you can buy the bulk wire on line. You will have to crimp the battery terminal end to the wire. Mine was done with a heavy duty crimper.

Comment

My battery is in the trunk, so i went with double ought welding cable.
          I'll look tomorrow, i know it has some specs printed on the cable insulation.

Welding cable has more strands, can handle higher loads/heat, and is more flexible than battery cable. It is usually more expensive though.

You can buy plugs made of lead, and solder on your own terminals if you want

Comment

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/message.asp?msg=49

These guys X100 ^^. Amazing quality, any length and cable ends you want. Real high quality, high strand count(close to what welding cable has) and marine grade shrink tubing. Flexibility is great, as well as the price. In a lot of cases they beat out pre-made auto parts stores cable, even when i got it in thicker gauges.

The main problem with welding cable is the insulation on it is made of EDPM, and is not as resistant to chemicals such as hydrocarbons (in most, but not all cases).
            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-26-2021, 09:58 AM.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
              My battery is in the trunk, so i went with double ought welding cable.
              I'll look tomorrow, i know it has some specs printed on the cable insulation.

Welding cable has more strands, can handle higher loads/heat, and is more flexible than battery cable. It is usually more expensive though.

You can buy plugs made of lead, and solder on your own terminals if you want
              Didn't think of welding cable - GREAT idea! Would prefer one already assembled but since the distance required is so short, it is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post

These guys X100 ^^. Amazing quality, any length and cable ends you want. Real high quality, high strand count(close to what welding cable has) and marine grade shrink tubing. Flexibility is great, as well as the price. In a lot of cases they beat out pre-made auto parts stores cable, even when i got it in thicker gauges.

The main problem with welding cable is the insulation on it is not as resistant to chemicals or high temps (in most, but not all cases).
                GREAT lead! "Hey Jimmy, ring the bell, I think we got a winner"!! You guys are the best taking the time to help a new member!!

Comment

The main problem with welding cable is the insulation on it is made of EDPM, and is not as resistant to chemicals such as hydrocarbons (in most, but not all cases).
                  Ordered one today to keep as a spare. Appears to be high quality so hopefully it is in person. They are supposed to ship it on Tuesday. Again, thanks for the lead!

Comment

Good to hear! I hope you find them as quality as I did, it's hard to find truly good products made in the USA nowadays
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Good to hear! I hope you find them as quality as I did, it's hard to find truly good products made in the USA nowadays
                      Unfortunately, that is true enough. Thanks so much for the info - can't imagine it could be any worse than the last crap I got from Amazon.

Comment

I use split loom and harness wrap on my welding cable. Plus it's in the trunk so not a lot of exposure to oil, gas, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X