Dropped a Screw in the Defrost vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped a Screw in the Defrost vent

Thought I could do one of the dash pad screws without my magnet. Dropped it down the passenger side vent. Does anybody know where they drop down to and if it will mess up the distribution doors or fan blower?

Just as I was buttoning up my NOS temp sensor too...
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
    Thought I could do one of the dash pad screws without my magnet. Dropped it down the passenger side vent. Does anybody know where they drop down to and if it will mess up the distribution doors or fan blower?

Just as I was buttoning up my NOS temp sensor too...
    Not sure where it all ends up. I dropped a 10mm socket and extension into the dash of my ‘02 back in 2019. I never found it and I’ve never heard it rattling either.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

It's probably in the heater core box. I found 2-3 screws when i replaced my heater core. you could try to fish it out with a magnet, but chances are you wont get it back
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

It goes to the same place random socks and 10mm sockets go.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just today i pulled 3 screws out of my defroster ducts with a small flat magnet on a string. I installed a dash cap on my Colony Park a few days ago. I made sure not to drive the car until I found a magnet small enough to fit down the duct. I didn't want them rolling into a space i couldn't reach with the magnet. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Cheap extending magnet stick worked for me when this happened one. Magnet on string is nice idea too. There is some hope in finding it. I was PISSED when I dropped the screw. Totally believed I would not recover it.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I dropped one in the Continental's vent, stuck a magnet down there and got a different screw that someone else had dropped. Don't think I found the one I lost but the other one did the job.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was at a friend's shop so i had to drive it home that night, Might try the magnet on a string though. I tried several different magnets on a stick and a bore scope but couldn't find it.
                1986 Country Squire
                1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I have had that happen with the screws falling into the abyss. I don't bother hunting for them. Just find another. I try to use a screwdriver with a magnetic end. Really helps.

Comment

Hence the reason I showed the trick of using the magnet on a stick WHILE using the magnetic screwdriver on those vent screws in the Coverlay ABS cap install thread.
                    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post799281

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly, that's what I usually do for these ones, but I thought I was steady enough to do the last one without it, because I'm an idiot. Also my dash pad is some vinyl wrapped fiberglass custom thing done by a previous owner, not the ABS piece it should be. The fit/alignment is meh
                      1986 Country Squire
                      1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Working...
                      X