PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Dropped a Screw in the Defrost vent

Default Dropped a Screw in the Defrost vent

Thought I could do one of the dash pad screws without my magnet. Dropped it down the passenger side vent. Does anybody know where they drop down to and if it will mess up the distribution doors or fan blower?

Just as I was buttoning up my NOS temp sensor too...

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kellen302 View Post
    Thought I could do one of the dash pad screws without my magnet. Dropped it down the passenger side vent. Does anybody know where they drop down to and if it will mess up the distribution doors or fan blower?

Just as I was buttoning up my NOS temp sensor too...
    Not sure where it all ends up. I dropped a 10mm socket and extension into the dash of my Ď02 back in 2019. I never found it and Iíve never heard it rattling either.

It's probably in the heater core box. I found 2-3 screws when i replaced my heater core. you could try to fish it out with a magnet, but chances are you wont get it back
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

It goes to the same place random socks and 10mm sockets go.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just today i pulled 3 screws out of my defroster ducts with a small flat magnet on a string. I installed a dash cap on my Colony Park a few days ago. I made sure not to drive the car until I found a magnet small enough to fit down the duct. I didn't want them rolling into a space i couldn't reach with the magnet. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Cheap extending magnet stick worked for me when this happened one. Magnet on string is nice idea too. There is some hope in finding it. I was PISSED when I dropped the screw. Totally believed I would not recover it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I dropped one in the Continental's vent, stuck a magnet down there and got a different screw that someone else had dropped. Don't think I found the one I lost but the other one did the job.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I was at a friend's shop so i had to drive it home that night, Might try the magnet on a string though. I tried several different magnets on a stick and a bore scope but couldn't find it.

fomoco panthers !

I have had that happen with the screws falling into the abyss. I don't bother hunting for them. Just find another. I try to use a screwdriver with a magnetic end. Really helps.

Hence the reason I showed the trick of using the magnet on a stick WHILE using the magnetic screwdriver on those vent screws in the Coverlay ABS cap install thread.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post799281

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Sly, that's what I usually do for these ones, but I thought I was steady enough to do the last one without it, because I'm an idiot. Also my dash pad is some vinyl wrapped fiberglass custom thing done by a previous owner, not the ABS piece it should be. The fit/alignment is meh