PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Fuel Pump Wiring

Default Fuel Pump Wiring

Hey all, working on hooking up a stock-type fuel pump to a car thats always been carbd.

I have the connector and wire that goes to the pump, it has pretty beefy wire (maybe 10 gauge). I have the fuel cutoff switch, which has puny wiring by comparison. Why is there a discrepancy here? Shouldn't it also have the bigger wiring? Also where is the factory ground point for the fuel pump wiring?

Thanks!
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Cannot comment on any discrepancies on wire size...

but...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4644.jpg   IMG_4643.jpg  
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Ah! This is very helpful, my older manual doesn't have the newer EFI stuff. Thank you

It looks like the inertia switch i have is from a 92+. They must have decreased the fuel pump wire size, its maybe 14 gauge.
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 01-03-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

I think the aero/whale fuel pumps are 20A circuit, so 14 is good enough for them. At least my 93 shows Fuel pump and ECM as a 20A fuse. 30 amp would be in need of 10 gauge. I imagine that the fuel pump will have surge current around 15A but regular running draw should be under 10 I would think. Maybe a little over 10. I'd have to put a meter on it to see, but 14 is enough wire unless you're running a really nuts power draw pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I think the aero/whale fuel pumps are 20A circuit, so 14 is good enough for them. At least my 93 shows Fuel pump and ECM as a 20A fuse. 30 amp would be in need of 10 gauge. I imagine that the fuel pump will have surge current around 15A but regular running draw should be under 10 I would think. Maybe a little over 10. I'd have to put a meter on it to see, but 14 is enough wire unless you're running a really nuts power draw pump.
    That's good to know! I kind of figured if i ran 10 (or 12) to the inertia switch, the small section of 14 would be fine anyway. It's a walboro 255, just looked it up and according to their specs it should draw under 10 amps like you thought.
    -Phil

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I don't think it was over 14 in '86 either. Certainly not 10awg.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

You're fine then for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.