PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator Charging Number At Idle

fomoco panthers !

The Motorcraft battery I believe is the best oem on the market. The price is about the same as the lesser quality batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    The Motorcraft battery I believe is the best oem on the market. The price is about the same as the lesser quality batteries.
    I think it will run about $170 or so and then the "core" so not too bad.

I've become a fan of Odyssey batteries. A bit pricey, but I don't like lead-acid stuff and these spin the engine over a tad faster than any other battery I've tried. When the Optima in my Town Car fails, that's what it'll be replaced with. It's the only Optima I've still got hanging around.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    I think it will run about $170 or so and then the "core" so not too bad.
    I bought mine from the Ford dealer. $140 for the top of the line Motorcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I bought mine from the Ford dealer. $140 for the top of the line Motorcraft.
    $140 is a good price if it is the 850 CCA 65 Group battery.

GMN Regular

The best part about the motorcraft battery is the warranty. I have one in my 09 and itís been drained twice when my alternator crapped out and still holds a charge like itís brand new.

Now for the older cars with less electronics the cheaper batteries are fine. I have a cheap Walmart battery in my 87 mgm thatís about 3 years old. I let it sit for about a month when I got covid. I went outside thinking Iíd need to jump it but to my surprise it started right up. My 17 gt on the other hand will spin slowly when it sits for over two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The yellow top H6 is supposed to be good for like 300 discharge/charge cycles. That is an advantage to me as both cars are stored for winter. Got sick of replacing the cheap batteries at the worst possible time lol.

In both my cars and that of a friend, the best luck (longest life) I have had for batteries is the Motorcraft 850. Had the "yellow top", in a friend's car and it did no better that some "cheapie" batteries. Once he put the Motorcraft in, his issues went away. I may soon be replacing the Deka in my '93 GM as my meters (TopDon Artibattery 101) says it needs replacing. It is a 675 CCA so I'll be replacing with the 850. Thing is, the car starts just fine so not in a big hurry!

GMN Regular

The consensus is that optima batteries used to be good years ago but the quality has declined so youíre just paying for the name now. One of my buddies had a red top from before 2010 sometime that he used in multiple cars, most of them having subs putting out around 1000 watts rms. He never had an issue with it.

Used batteries made prior 2010 are the best battery on the market today.

I haven't had any luck with new batteries since 2015.

Three years MAX and they either get weak or won't hold a charge. I bought some battery tenders for the stored stuff. The 2009 Autocraft Silver is the oldest battery in the fleet and the only battery that holds a charge for a 4+ weeks in cold weather without a tender. It resides in the 90 wagon.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

So basically we can agree that most modern batteries suck!

fomoco panthers !

Since the EPA all but banned the manufacture of electrolite. It is recycled from old batteries over and over again, thus getting weaker and weaker. I think the worst battery I have come across in a vehicle is the standard Subaru battery. Under warranty the dealer replaces the weak one with a weak one. I wasn't playing the warranty game with the battery, so I bought the best I could find when it was one year old. Next replacement will be a Motorcraft.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

its sulphuric acid and water, there is no magic about battery electrolyte. Its not banned either, so I have no idea where you got that from.

lead refining is far more restricted. That does actually come in large part from recycled batteries.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    its sulphuric acid and water, there is no magic about battery electrolyte. Its not banned either, so I have no idea where you got that from.

lead refining is far more restricted. That does actually come in large part from recycled batteries.
    It probably is more a lead refining issue. I should have not used the word "banned" I sold Interstate batteries back in the late 80s-90s. Maybe it is CA. thing as far as stricter regulations. I remember when electrolyte came in a box. The battery seller added the electrolyte to the dry battery. That stopped as the batteries were filled at the factory.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I think they're also using less lead for cost reasons, and that doesn't help either. More, thinner plates makes for more amperage but the thin plates fail quicker. Need a lot of reserve power for those auto stop/start systems to keep all the crap running while the engine isn't.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    The best part about the motorcraft battery is the warranty. I have one in my 09 and it’s been drained twice when my alternator crapped out and still holds a charge like it’s brand new.

Now for the older cars with less electronics the cheaper batteries are fine. I have a cheap Walmart battery in my 87 mgm that’s about 3 years old. I let it sit for about a month when I got covid. I went outside thinking I’d need to jump it but to my surprise it started right up. My 17 gt on the other hand will spin slowly when it sits for over two weeks.

Jeez, I guess I should give more credit to the yellow top Optima in my Town Car. I think I put that in the car around 2015 or 2016. Car sat for three months off the Battery Tender and it fired right up. Think it was thirty degrees outside.

GMN Regular

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Jeez, I guess I should give more credit to the yellow top Optima in my Town Car. I think I put that in the car around 2015 or 2016. Car sat for three months off the Battery Tender and it fired right up. Think it was thirty degrees outside.
    Not bad at all, so far Iíd say you got your moneys worth out of it. Which one was the yellow top? Deep cycle?

Yes, yellow is deep cycle

GMN Regular

Thought so. My buddy had a red top, I guess for large electrical loads.

Yah, yellow top was supposed to be helpful if you had the bumpity-bumpities installed, which I did. I have had problems with the red tops. I think I went through at least two in my Firebird before they finally gave me a good one. That was about four years ago, it's still ok, but just sitting on the shelf now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12