Alternator Charging Number At Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Seems the same with wiper blades. They used to last for years and years. Now I seem to change them every 6 months, and i dont buy cheap ones.
    I've had luck with Bosch but perhaps there are others that work as well. Several years ago, Walmart sold wipers from Pylon. Only like $2 each and lasted for years.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

rain-x, michelin, and bosch seem to have the best, but they're all spendy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I buy the cheapest blades I can find for my cars since I almost never drive them in the rain, never in snow, and they are parked in the garage when not being driven. I figure I'm replacing them every spring anyway just so the windshield washer works decently. Under those conditions a $2 clearance one works just the same as an expensive one to clean bugs off the windshield.

The truck I buy better ones for since it actually is parked outside and I need them to work in rain.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Yeah... batteries are really hit or miss from any manufacturer now. Sometimes you get 8 years from a walmart battery, sometimes 6 months and everything in between.
          I bought a yellow top Optima for my Zephyr. Been super happy with it. Even bought the fancy optima charger/maintainer too and was $$$ but am happy with the setup. Same yellow top will also fit my Mustang too so that's a plus.
          I heard that there are only like 2 manufacturers who make batteries in the US and everything is just rebranded

Comment

I always go with a Motorcraft for my Vic. I always go with a Motorcraft for my Vic. Mine's an 03 and I bought it in '08 with the factory battery in it. The next one made it 7 years and I just had to replace it this October. The last one died because the car sat so long due to covid and working from home. So 11 years on factory, 7 on the second (due to negligence) and now on battery #3.

All my other cars run the Oreillys SuperStart Extreme batteries which are made by EastPenn/Dekka (a US manufacturer). They are not crap like most of the Johnson Control manufac. ones, which is what a lot of the other brands out there are. The superstarts can get pricy but the cost evens out vs. replacing a "cheap" battery every 2-3 years. Just my opinion tho.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

The Motorcraft battery I believe is the best oem on the market. The price is about the same as the lesser quality batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                The Motorcraft battery I believe is the best oem on the market. The price is about the same as the lesser quality batteries.
                I think it will run about $170 or so and then the "core" so not too bad.

Comment

I've become a fan of Odyssey batteries. A bit pricey, but I don't like lead-acid stuff and these spin the engine over a tad faster than any other battery I've tried. When the Optima in my Town Car fails, that's what it'll be replaced with. It's the only Optima I've still got hanging around.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                    I think it will run about $170 or so and then the "core" so not too bad.
                    I bought mine from the Ford dealer. $140 for the top of the line Motorcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      I bought mine from the Ford dealer. $140 for the top of the line Motorcraft.
                      $140 is a good price if it is the 850 CCA 65 Group battery.

Comment

The best part about the motorcraft battery is the warranty. I have one in my 09 and it’s been drained twice when my alternator crapped out and still holds a charge like it’s brand new.

Now for the older cars with less electronics the cheaper batteries are fine. I have a cheap Walmart battery in my 87 mgm that’s about 3 years old. I let it sit for about a month when I got covid. I went outside thinking I’d need to jump it but to my surprise it started right up. My 17 gt on the other hand will spin slowly when it sits for over two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The yellow top H6 is supposed to be good for like 300 discharge/charge cycles. That is an advantage to me as both cars are stored for winter. Got sick of replacing the cheap batteries at the worst possible time lol.

Comment

In both my cars and that of a friend, the best luck (longest life) I have had for batteries is the Motorcraft 850. Had the "yellow top", in a friend's car and it did no better that some "cheapie" batteries. Once he put the Motorcraft in, his issues went away. I may soon be replacing the Deka in my '93 GM as my meters (TopDon Artibattery 101) says it needs replacing. It is a 675 CCA so I'll be replacing with the 850. Thing is, the car starts just fine so not in a big hurry!

Comment

The consensus is that optima batteries used to be good years ago but the quality has declined so you’re just paying for the name now. One of my buddies had a red top from before 2010 sometime that he used in multiple cars, most of them having subs putting out around 1000 watts rms. He never had an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Used batteries made prior 2010 are the best battery on the market today.

I haven't had any luck with new batteries since 2015.

Three years MAX and they either get weak or won't hold a charge. I bought some battery tenders for the stored stuff. The 2009 Autocraft Silver is the oldest battery in the fleet and the only battery that holds a charge for a 4+ weeks in cold weather without a tender. It resides in the 90 wagon.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X