1979 LTD outside Detroit, MI - $4,900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 LTD outside Detroit, MI - $4,900

A little on a pricy side as I'm sure most here will say. Still, looks like a very nice car.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/c...422637820.html

From the ad:
    "Read Carefully:

Original Old School Cool “Men In Black” car, this 1979 Ford LTD sedan a real time capsule. The LTD was staple in the American automotive experience, and this car is 42 years old, factory original, and is as good and clean as it gets.

At 49,000 miles the car shows outstanding original in all areas including interior, original exterior paint, original trim, chrome, steel wheels with moon cap wheel covers (all 4) and so on.

The paint is all original, wonderfully preserved, and you can still see the orange peel finish in the factory paint. Flawless chrome bumpers front and back. It really is too good to be true.

Interior carpet and upholstery are bright red and undamaged in any way, again rarely driven over the last 40 years, and never in winter. Not a scratch, crack or blemish on dash or upholstery, and nothing faded from sunlight. Factory Ziebart rust-proofing throughout chasis and body.

This sedan came with all the comfort upgrades of the day, including AM/FM Radio, power windows and door locks, power steering and power brakes, Cruise control, and A/C, which was charged with original R12 and blows extremely cold on the hottest days of summer.

This is a two-owner classic that was purchased by a collector in the 1980’s and put in storage until he passed away and his widow sold his collection, where I purchased the car and got it back up and running, including:
    • New brake lines and brakes all around; fuel line & sending unit rebuilt
    • Re-cored radiator and cooling system flush
    • A/C (freezing cold) loaded with original R12
    • Rear Air shocks

The car is powered by its original 302 V8 (5.0 Mustang engine), automatic transmission and rear wheel drive. The car runs great, engine and trans strong, and is ready for immediate use. The only thing more I would do to the car would be to upgrade the carburetor from a 2 bbl to 4 bbl to maximize the power of that engine and intensify fuel flow.

The heart of the LTD is the 5.0-liter High Output V8. This is a legend in American performance for delivering plenty of power in a stout package. This car rivals the “box Chevy Caprice, 9C1, Cadillac Fleetwood, and cousin of the Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.

No matter what the car is, low mile originals are always a good investment and are always sought after. The capture automotive design and history in its purest form.

This is a rare fast Ford is a rare find, especially all-original with such low miles. Will consider offers, but please don’t contact me with low-ball offers outside of the very generous $5,500."
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

I think the price is a steal. You can not build this for anywhere close to this price. Paint alone worth having will cost far more than the purchase price.

I dont agree with this statement though.

The heart of the LTD is the 5.0-liter High Output V8.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

With prices as they are and being junk sometimes on top of it, this does not seem far fetched at all. If it runs as nice as it looks (are those seat covers, by the way) I agree it is not a bad deal!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

No to the seat covers. They had some pretty neat/interesting stuff in the early years.

If I had the space I would be on my way to pick this up.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          No to the seat covers. They had some pretty neat/interesting stuff in the early years.

If I had the space I would be on my way to pick this up.
          Thanks! They looked too "tucked in" to be seat covers but some jobs are really good. Agreed this probably won't last long assuming there isn't something we're not aware of.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Right. This one looks good and is not outrageously priced whereas some already look like crap and are priced by drugs.
            ~David~

Comment

I've seen this ad before so I am guessing it's been for sale for a while. Indeed a nice car. Price is right for the right buyer. Seller may be trying to price it out of the league of someone who just wants to daily it to death.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sweet Ltd. Perfect colors. I noticed two things. One, the headlight chrome trim is missing. The other is the steering wheel is cracked. Typical problem in those years. Except for it being a 1979, it is nice. Good thing it does not have the 351 which was a dog in those years. Price is reasonable considering the market.

Comment

Right, we've seen this one before. So tired of the old timers who put "5.0 Mustang engine" or something similar in their ad.
                  Just one of those things you let wash over you without reacting I guess, especially when the price is right and you know better. Price is indeed reasonable considering the market and if you gotta have it, because like David said, you couldn't make it that nice for the price. I love black on red, and that car has all the options I need/want except for tilt steering. Love the black steelies & dog dish hubcaps. It's perfect.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yes, as was mentioned, this one has come up before.
                    Do I want to pay less? Of course, but the asking price is not unreasonable even if I can't afford it.

Derek, you know a guy who knows a thing or two about converting to tilt steering wheel. Easy swap. Finding the correct shroud pieces in the correct color is probably the hardest part of the swap. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ft-Interchange
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

That is very cool! You guys are lucky in the States... Hard to find some decent older Panthers in Ontario. Most are old rust buckets not worth saving

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        Yes, as was mentioned, this one has come up before.
                        Do I want to pay less? Of course, but the asking price is not unreasonable even if I can't afford it.

Derek, you know a guy who knows a thing or two about converting to tilt steering wheel. Easy swap. Finding the correct shroud pieces in the correct color is probably the hardest part of the swap. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ft-Interchange
                        Indeed, and it sold. Real cool car, I'd have been happy to have it.

Haha, I do. I'm just terrible about bothering people for help with stuff. I'm also broke, so there's that.

Comment

Nah, they just relisted it for less. Down to $4200 now. https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/c...430469860.html
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Anyone curious enough to check it out and see what my be wrong with it for it to still be for sale?
                            ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              Nah, they just relisted it for less. Down to $4200 now. https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/c...430469860.html
                              From the ad, ".. The only thing more I would do to the car would be to upgrade the carburetor from a 2 bbl to 4 bbl to maximize the power of that engine and intensify fuel flow."

WTF? LMAO! Sure, you can put a bigger toilet on top of it and flush, but that's not how you go about maximizing or making power. Intensify fuel flow.. Just wow.

You could probably snag that thing for $3,500. If I had it, I'd be all over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X