Front Cigarette Lighter Socket Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Cigarette Lighter Socket Removal

My 12v socket is pretty crusty inside and not giving good contact to anything I plug in so I am looking to replace it. But I can't figure out how it unscrews. Is it the type that needs to have the inside turned with a special tool/screwdriver? Or does the outer part (with the spade connector ground) need to be removed off the back?

Also, good brands for a replacement?

Thanks!
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

I have changed one on one of my Lincolns. I took the ashtray out and it unscrews from the back. As far as brand, I believe there is only a generic one which was about 13 bux Canadian...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

Comment

Is this in a crown vic or grand marquis 89 and down ash try?

Its either a "stick your thumb inside the socket and use other hand to twist the back off" or just pressed into the ring is sits on. If you snap a picture of it removed (assuming its the one in the astray) I can say how to remove it from the ash tray.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If it’s like the ashtray in my Mark VI the inside just unscrews and then it comes apart. I had to destroy my old one to get it apart because it was so corroded.

I just grabbed a brand new one complete with lighter and lightbulb from the auto parts store for like $8.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Mine was crusty enough and I didn't want to break the rivets holding the tab into the plastic assembly so I just ground the rim off of the internal socket and let it fall out. For those wondering, the PN for the socket in the instrument panel and the doors from 1984-1989 at least(might go further, but my manual only goes to 89) is EOVY-15055A.

If you have a 1980-83 (presumably 1979 as well) The instrument panel socket is EOVY-15055A, but the door sockets are D3SZ-15055B.

There does seem to be some crossover with the Fox Body mustangs, but I don't know what the star or r/b signify on the parts manual list. LMR has reproductions of some of the fox body sockets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	partsmanualfoxbodyciglighter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1289947
          Last edited by kellen302; 01-23-2022, 05:44 PM.
          1986 Country Squire
          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

r/b = Replaced By
            * is not available for various reasons. Usually either superseded, can be fabricobbled from something else, or nobody is going to buy it.

The key to the decoder ring is on page 1 or 2 of the manual with what most of it means. Some of it you just sort of have to figure out on your own though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well it looks like LMR will have at least a somewhat compatible option then. Most of their reviews mention removing a locking tab, which at least my mounting tab has, so on some years you may need to break that off with pliers.
              I was able to find some NOS sockets on ebay with that PN and I have always had better luck with genuine Motorcraft and the cost was not too much more.
              1986 Country Squire
              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Working...
              X