A couple issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple issues

I picked up another 09 P71 a few weeks back. Everything works and it runs fine but I have a few issues. The cel is on but my scanner won’t connect to it. I was told it was the fuel rail pressure sensor, it doesn’t affect driveability so I’m not too concerned but I’d still like to read codes.

The fuel pump will run continuously while the key is in the run position with the car off. If I was a betting man I’d say the two are related.

When I let it sit for a few days, when I turn the ac on there’s a loud almost like the sound when the blend door actuator breaks but is more metallic and loud. I’m guessing it’s the ac compressor not wanting to turn. Once it started smoking before I turned it off. Once the compressor turns on there are no issues, it’s only after it’s been sitting. Could it be an air gap issue or is the compressor going south?

Also the wipers and fluid pump don’t work. Since neither function works and all the fuses are in tact my guess is the multifunction switch. Any way to test it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a similar problem once with a fuse/no power to the OBD port. This was on a Chevy Express, so completely different, but on that it was the lighter or power port fuse which I understand is pretty common. Take a good look at the fuses to be sure they are all okay.

Try to turn the compressor by hand with the car off after letting it sit a few days. It should turn with some resistance but without being stuck. Check it over several days several times. Crank it up after checking by hand and see if it repeats the problem. If compressor is free and it doesn't repeat after turning by hand, it's the clutch. PO probably smoked it good is my guess and the clutch needs replaced, possibly along with the compressor if that caused the original problem.

I'm not a wiper expert but if the connectors and fuses check out, I'd lean on the MFS as well. Abuse it and see if that helps. I have had sticky ones like the abuse.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

09 I think is the single rail fuel system. Doesn't have a regulator exactly, it has a sensor and a control module that varies pump speed to control pressure. If the pump stays on, wild guess is the pump module is bad and the pump runs full time, which would make for overly high pressure.

if the compressor doesn't want to grab but eventually does, that sounds like the clutch is worn out. Should be able to check the air gap between the front plate and the clutch. Offhand I want to say it should be like .018 - .024 but that may not be exactly right. Too big and it won't grab. Sometimes you can re-shim it but if its been too off for too long the clutch may be wasted and the fix is to replace it. Thats not too hard either, just may need the puller to yank it off. Sometimes they will come off without it though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No noise today even though it’s been sitting for at least 5 days. Maybe a little hiss but no screech. Maybe the car sat before I bought it, I’m not sure. The guy I bought it from flips them. He bought it from an auction then sold it to me.

The wipers miraculously started working too. I kept messing around with the switch then took it for a spin. Once I got back I turned the wipers on and they worked. Even the washer pump! Stupid electrical gremlins. Like I said it probably sat for a bit.

I was finally able to connect my scanner. It’s throwing a few codes but namely P0191 and P1237. P0191 is for the frps and P1237 is for the fpdm. Could be a bad driver module. There isn’t too many other examples out there unfortuneately. I’ll look into datalogging a little more to try to pinpoint the problem better. I logged a little earlier and the fuel rail pressure was something like 76 psi. Not surprising since the pump runs continuously.

Comment

The fpdm is behind the rear seat back. You can get to/see the wires & module from the trunk but it needs to be unscrewed from the cabin.

Comment

When I’m off next I’ll mess around with it. After more research of other fords with the same setup it seems like it’s a shorted ground somewhere. That should be fun to find.

Comment

Forgot to update this, I cleared the codes and it’s been fine since. I’m thinking the codes were there since before they changed the fuel pump. But the wipers are still giving me issues. The car has to warm up before they work. Do these ones have the module on the wiper motor itself?

Comment

It should from what I recall.

Here's some info I found on what may cause it-> https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=2279137
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Ok cool I have something to go on now, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X