Power Steering Line Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Line Dilemma

Hello to all my fellow Grand Marquis owners. I am faced with a dilemma on my 85 Grand Marquis.

My high pressure hose started leaking. I removed it and located a small rip/hole.

I purchased an Edelman 71044 high pressure hose from RockAuto. All hoses on that site seemed to have the same stock photo.

It arrived and it was not the right thread pitch on the pump side.

In fact it looked entirely different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1305864

So I went to my local auto parts store and unfortunately they had the exact same hose that I got on RockAuto, which wasn't going to arrive for another few days and was 3 times the price of the one on RockAuto. Forget about it. Fail.

No big deal, I told them to bring out a power steering pump they had in stock. My RockAuto line wouldn't thread into the pump. Fail.

In my years of ownership I have never replaced the pump.

For now I just mickey moused it, cleaned the line as best as possible and smeared some gasket maker on there, then wrapped it with some tape. Its super ghetto but as long as there isn't power steering fluid being flung all over my engine bay I'm ok for the time being.

Could it be that the previous owner replaced the pump and line with something of a different year?

Does my original power steering hose look like the right one?

If someone has any recommendations on what I can do, I am open to suggestions.

Thank you.
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

As luck would have it, I happened to have that exact hose sitting in the trunk waiting to be installed. So I went out to the garage and took it out to compare with the current, probably original hose.

Edelman 71044 High Pressure Hose, fresh from Rock Auto:

Here it is beside the high pressure line currently installed on my car:

I also happened to have a reman power steering pump from O'Reilly, which I was able to thread the Edelman line into:

So I think the 71044 hose should be correct, though it's strange that it wouldn't thread into the store's pump either. My service manual shows the Ford CII pump as being common across all Panthers in '87, though the non-Police Fords and Mercuries (Mercurys?) are listed as pumping slightly less than the Police package variants and Town Cars. Perhaps '85s had some variety in which pump was installed, or as you say a previous owner might've swapped it over.

I don't know enough to give you a definitive answer, but these pictures at least show you what I'm working with. Hopefully that's somewhat helpful.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Sluggish91 - there is a separate part currently screwed onto the end of your current hose. Get a wrench on it and a wrench on the hose fitting and they will unscrew from each other. I think that's some kind of regulator that basically lets them use the same pump on many applications by varying the power assist.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tiggie is correct. I had to remove this piece when I replaced the pressure hose on my '90 GM. Two wrenches is all you need.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          Sluggish91 - there is a separate part currently screwed onto the end of your current hose. Get a wrench on it and a wrench on the hose fitting and they will unscrew from each other. I think that's some kind of regulator that basically lets them use the same pump on many applications by varying the power assist.
          Good eye

Comment

the pump fitting is still attached to the old power steering hose.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks guys, I completely overlooked that small detail! I'll get to wrenchin & report back with my results.
              1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
              1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

change the O rings on the pump fitting before you put it back on otherwise its probably going to leak.

No better time to change the body O ring either if thats leaking.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey there friends, just wanted to report back with some success. Everyone was right, I still had that one fitting attached to my original hose, which is why it looked completely different. I removed it and it screwed right on to the Edelman hose I had from Rockauto.

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1289950

All cleaned up. No more power steering fluid spraying all over the engine bay!

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1289951

Thanks to everyone that replied for helping me. You guys are always a great help when I am feeling defeated.

Cheers!

Comment

Ah, nice and clean and "spray free" - NICE WORK!
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I hate power steering leaks. That awful noise the pumps make when they get low puts my teeth on edge.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Leaks bad. No leaks good. Hurray for no leaks!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          Bingo!!!
                          1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                          X