Stupid question but I have to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question but I have to ask.

Is there a relationship between the starter solenoid and the coil?
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

They are completely separate systems, if that is what you're asking.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Thought I read the coil fires off of the solenoid switch.
      My solenoid switch stuck on and after I replaced it
      my coil need replaced. It was stuck for about 2 minutes. After about a minute I was able to disconnect the positive cable. That shut the engine off, but the switch and starter kept turning the flywheel for another minute. Thankfully the starter did not grind or get wore out.
      My car has one of those amp capacitors and when that ran down the starter quit.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Kind of if you have a duraspark. Solenoid sends full 12v ignition bypass to the coil durning crank. Let off the key coil gets a ballast resisted 6v.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
          Kind of if you have a duraspark. Solenoid sends full 12v ignition bypass to the coil durning crank. Let off the key coil gets a ballast resisted 6v.
          Unless your duraspark box or crank position sensor fails. Then you have no spark, I learned that the hard way.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

CFI cars also power the ignition system off the I terminal in the starter relay. Those run TFI but there are two power inputs, one for key-on, one for cranking power. For whatever reason Ford ignition switches do not have any terminals that are live in both On and Start. Later cars tie directly into the start circuit for this.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              CFI cars also power the ignition system off the I terminal in the starter relay. Those run TFI but there are two power inputs, one for key-on, one for cranking power. For whatever reason Ford ignition switches do not have any terminals that are live in both On and Start. Later cars tie directly into the start circuit for this.
              If I understand this diagram correctly, the coil would get voltage on RUN & START, even with the I terminal wire disconnected:

Attached Files
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

maybe thats an 84 thing then. I see the circuit from "start" feeds to both the solenoid and the TFI like it does 86+.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, my '85 CFI has a cranking only power feed from the starter solenoid to the fuel pump relay, even though the primary fuel pump power source is straight from the battery.

Comment

fuel pump feed should be constant hot, the pump relay coil is a ground switch from the ECM. I do see that its got a feed out from the I terminal to something on the ECM page, but no idea what that does. Might be the input for engine cranking. SEFI computers have one at least. They will start if you don't have that hooked up but it starts harder and makes the idle really goofy for a bit. The crank input tells it that the engine is being started so it can do stuff with the idle and timing to help that happen.

could also be what keeps power fed to the ECM relay. The hot side of those relay coils comes from the ignition switch. If its tied to a circuit that drops when you crank it, the ECM will not be powered when the engine is spinning so it won't start.

Comment

Diagram shows two power feeds to the FP relay, one HOT IN START and the other HOT AT ALL TIMES.
                      And the car started and ran just fine with the "I" post disconnected.
                      I can have the diagram tomorrow, just dont have it on my phone.

But we're digressing a wee bit aren't we?

Comment

yea but thats never been a good reason to stop before

possible the pump doesn't run when cranking and it just goes off residual pressure unless that is hooked up? dunno.

Comment

The gremlins are back.
                          Friday replaced the 1 year old ECT sensor, the coil and solenoid switch.
                          It intermittently started. Drove around 15 miles without issues. It started up 5-6 times.....no issues.

SAT am.....long time starting....30 seconds or more..... changed plug wires, spark plugs , distributor cap and rotor. drove 5 miles around the neighborhood....no issues....started 5-6 times ..
                          SUN am ..today started up....drove 4 miles..no issues.... 3 hours later took my daughter to work 10 miles round trip...last 1-2 miles started to have a miss and want to cut out at stop signs. Would not start anymore.
                          An hour later Got home took off the TPS and put another one on....no luck... put the old one back on and it started...then it had a fast idle and bounced between a fast idle1500 rpms and normal 800-900 in park.
                          Putting in gear the idle stayed at 800-999.
                          Today a new air filter.
                          Old one was 1 year old.
                          Put new IAC on....cleaned the MAF sensor. both including the TPS and 65mm Throttle body...are 8 months OLD...car is starting and running...I've cleaned the TB with TB cleaner.. and the MAF with MAF sensor cleaner...
                          Fuel pump seems to be fine.
                          I can't get the code reader to pick up any codes and the check engine light has never came on.

Sorry to ramble incoherently, but I'm frustrated and I'm waiting with the negative cable off after replacing the sensors.
                          Fuel filter? TFI or PIP next?
                          I appreciate the help you guys have always given me.
                          THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
                            The gremlins are back.
                            Friday replaced the 1 year old ECT sensor, the coil and solenoid switch.
                            It intermittently started. Drove around 15 miles without issues. It started up 5-6 times.....no issues.

SAT am.....long time starting....30 seconds or more..... changed plug wires, spark plugs , distributor cap and rotor. drove 5 miles around the neighborhood....no issues....started 5-6 times ..
                            SUN am ..today started up....drove 4 miles..no issues.... 3 hours later took my daughter to work 10 miles round trip...last 1-2 miles started to have a miss and want to cut out at stop signs. Would not start anymore.
                            An hour later Got home took off the TPS and put another one on....no luck... put the old one back on and it started...then it had a fast idle and bounced between a fast idle1500 rpms and normal 800-900 in park.
                            Putting in gear the idle stayed at 800-999.
                            Today a new air filter.
                            Old one was 1 year old.
                            Put new IAC on....cleaned the MAF sensor. both including the TPS and 65mm Throttle body...are 8 months OLD...car is starting and running...I've cleaned the TB with TB cleaner.. and the MAF with MAF sensor cleaner...
                            Fuel pump seems to be fine.
                            I can't get the code reader to pick up any codes and the check engine light has never came on.

Sorry to ramble incoherently, but I'm frustrated and I'm waiting with the negative cable off after replacing the sensors.
                            Fuel filter? TFI or PIP next?
                            I appreciate the help you guys have always given me.
                            THANK YOU
                            When my ‘88 did that it was the pip sensor. I just replaced the whole distributor with pip and TFI module included. The check engine light only illuminates if you lose oil pressure or overheat the engine, it’s pretty much a replace engine light.
                            Last edited by mercurygm88; 01-17-2022, 12:20 PM.
                            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

there is a yellow check engine light that most things didn't have until 89 for the computer. The red one is the "replace engine" light. Has nothing to do with the ECM.

Only a few things actually kick the computer CEL anyway. Do you get codes? You can throw parts at it until you get lucky or go broke but diagnosing it stands a better chance for success here. Also would be helpful to know exactly what combo of parts you have since not many of these came with a MAF from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                              X