Stupid question but I have to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Yesterday, I replaced the fuel filter, the old one was was only a year and a half old. The fuel in it was very clean.
    I bought a new battery, I noticed the old one was 3 1/2 years old. I try to replace every 2 years because Houston is a city you don't want to break down in anywhere, anytime.
    I also replaced the fuel pump relay and the ECM relay.
    I checked the PCV and noticed the grommet was loose so I replaced the grommet.
    While doing this the other end of the PCV hose came loose under the intake.
    This one is connected in the middle under the intake. It took a long while and a few scrapes and mild burns but I got it on.

I started the car and let it idle with the AC on in the driveway for one hour and 45 minutes. I then drove the neighborhood for 14 miles and 45 minutes.
    An hour and a half later I let it idle for thirty minutes then drove again for 16 miles and for an hour.
    Today I'm going to drive around for hopefully 2 hours. I just started it up this morning. Start up seems normal.

I sense that the fuel pump relay was the issue.

My code reader couldn't connect. It kept saying the cables could not connect to the car. (maybe the ECM relay was bad).

I read that a battery can have a cracked plate and still have a good charged output.
    My old battery was saying 14 volts on an in dash volt meter.

My car is Bernies old one.
    It is a 90 block with HO cam, GT 40 heads and intakes. In May 2021 I swapped the HO throttle body for a 65 mm throttle body and a 67 mm spacer. At this time I changed to a PRO M MAF replacing the PRO FORM MAF.
    The conversion to mass air was done by Bernie before I bought the car.
    I've put 29,000 miles on it since I bought it in 2015.
    All other parts, the remaining sensors, plug wires, plugs, distributor cap, TFI module are Motorcraft. It has shorty headers. It had a Flamethrower coil the last year and a half. Now swapped out to an ACCEL one. (The ACCEL coils are now made in China and not the original yellow).
    THANK YOU AGAIN GADGET AND EVERYONE.
    I'll post how the 2 hour drive goes.
    Again I'm thinking either the fuel pump relay or the ECM relay.
    Could the contacts sticking in the solenoid be the initial cause of the relays going bad
    I THANK ALL.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

90 Colony Park.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Happy that so far so good.
        Cars been running and starting good the past 200 miles and 10 days.
        The most miles at one time has been 30.
        The idle is still fast at 1500 rpms at startup in park and 900-1000 rpms in drive. I'm not gonna complain.
        I'm still think a bad fuel pump relay was the problem.
        Thank you all again for your advice and help.

Comment

definitely shouldn't idle that high. Does it drop if you unplug the IAC ? If not, fair bet either the screw is cranked in too far, or the air bleed screw in the throttle body is too big. I've had to plug those before on certain combos in order to get the idle right. The hole is big enough that even with the IAC fully shut it flows enough to make the idle high.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget the idle was fine before I started having issues. I did swap an (new car take off) IAC off of a new Lo Po throttle body I've had around.
            I did fudge with the TPS. Should I check adjustment with the TPS?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
              Gadget the idle was fine before I started having issues. I did swap an (new car take off) IAC off of a new Lo Po throttle body I've had around.
              I did fudge with the TPS. Should I check adjustment with the TPS?
              I'd recheck EVERYTHING I did after it was running well. You WILL find it!
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

can check it, but would be good to know if unplugging the IAC changes the idle. It could be stuck partly open, or there might be a leak around it. if the idle drops and/or it stalls, the ECM is holding it open for some reason. Basically isolating it to a hardware vs controls problem.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you Gadget.
                  With the engine warm I disconnected the IAC with the car running. The idle dropped to what i guess is normal. 700-750 rpms in park and around 600 rpms in drive. It did not stall out.
                  I then drove around the block which is about a mile.
                  Will it hurt anything to drive with it disconnected? I THANK YOU again.

Comment

Should be about 500 at idle with that unplugged.

How big is the air bleed hole in the throttle body?

its probably not going to be happy with the IAC unplugged.

Comment

You're right. The IAC was not happy unplugged on a cold start this morning.
                      The throttle body has been on since May of last year.
                      I'll check and see if the PCV hose came loose again. It did come loose from under the middle of the intake when I replaced the relays and the fuel filter. If it's still a high idle
                      I will probably go back to the previous IAC.
                      THANK YOU.

Comment

Working...
                      X