No announcement yet.

Wonky Digital Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I think the one you showed is for a 1993. Wonder if there is a difference between connectors for an analog or digital dash sending units? There is no notations for that at Rockauto so whenever I get a chace to see it, in person, I'll see what it really looks like.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Nah... the difference is years. It also doesn't matter which way you test it with a ohm meter - the sender in the tank that is. When checking the wires going to the assembly, just a visual looking for damage should be enough. You can test GND to a clean spot on the chassis/frame to make sure that's not broken, but the other stuff would require running a wire out from under the car from the harness and testing the other end of the wire for continuity in the wire alone and not to other wires. That's a major PITA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Probably don't mind checking for physical damage to any wires and checking the connector, as long as I can get to it. Not sure I am ambitious enough to go any further than that.

Comment

That's typically all that required. If you pull the connector and the contacts are green... that's probably the issue. Clean them up and put back together. Parts canon should only really be the fuel pump/sender assembly. If that doesn't work, it's most likely wiring if not a new dead part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'll need to get to the project, for my friend. Problem may be getting that far under the car. Would have been nice if I had a lift but I'll have to make do. This will require some crawling and at 67 could be an issue. Then again, I am married so some crawling comes as second nature!

Comment

the shoulder crawl is a good method. Using some nice "clean" cardboard boxes to lay on may help better than a tarp... or under a tarp to helps smooth out obnoxious ground. Even in my 40s as I am, the crawling part isn't fun. I imagine at 67 is even less enjoyable. Creeper is definitely the best option if available.

Comment

Got a creeper but not sure there will be enough room. Haven't actually tried it so maybe????

Comment

jack stands help.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    jack stands help.
                    May have to be a "given". Just wondering if there will be enough room between the connector and the bottom of the car to work in. Would also need to see where the best place for the stands would be.

Comment

There's a lot of space between the gas tank and the axle which provides all the room you really need. Just need to get under it to access the tank. Since it sits upright and not flat on the bottom, there's actually a lot of room under there.

Comment

I would think the axles are the best place for the stands.

Comment

frame at the rear doors gives better clearance for maneuvering yourself around the axle though. That was my preferred position when I was changing the fuel pump hanger assembly. If you're able to slid in from behind, either will work well. I had to slide in from the side.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            frame at the rear doors gives better clearance for maneuvering yourself around the axle though. That was my preferred position when I was changing the fuel pump hanger assembly. If you're able to slid in from behind, either will work well. I had to slide in from the side.
                            Sounds like a winning plan and thanks for the great info!

Comment

I found it a little easier if the axle is hanging, but can still be accessed with stands under the axle

Comment

As time (and lack of pain) allow, I will first need to crawl under and see what kind of room there is and then figure jack points to increase that, if needed. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will keep them all in mind when I check it out. With so many home and car projects, it is a lower priority and may be a few months until I get to it but I will and report back with results (good or bad). If it is the sender, my guess is my friend will simply have to live with the inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
                                X