Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird starting issue 2000 Grand Marquis. Idle Air Control valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird starting issue 2000 Grand Marquis. Idle Air Control valve?

A weird starting issue developed with my Dad's 2000 Grand Marquis when cold.

It won't start when initially cranked. Engine turns over fine, and fuel is up at the fuel rails, but just cranks and cranks.

Pull off the air intake tube at the throttle body and it starts fairly quickly, but if you re install the air tube right away it dies out. Pull the tube off and it starts fine.

After a couple minutes, you can re install the air tube and it's fine, until you put it in drive, the stalls out.

Redoing the process works fine and so long as you wait a few additional minutes, you can put it in drive and drive it like normal.

I had similar issues (dying out once put in drive) on the 86 a few years ago, and cleaning the bijesus out o the idle air control valve worked wonders. Did they have IAC valves in 2000? Any other ideas?
    sigpic

I'd take a look at the MAF and air filter to see if it's dirty since that's what you are bypassing by unhooking the intake tube.

They do have an IAC. Won't hurt to clean it.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Found the IAC valve and gave it a good clean. Not super dirty but a bit. Reinstalled it and no real change. Car started, but stalled out as soon as it was in gear.

Cleaned the MAF sensor as well, and then it seemed to work fine. Although the car had been started and shut off a few times and run for about 5 minutes non consecutive by this point.

It's quite cold today, so I'll let it sit today and then try from a complete cold start again tomorrow.

Seems like it was a dirty MAF, but more to follow.

I did check the air filter when it first started last week to make sure there was no nest/weirdness in there. There wasn't.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X