Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper shock?

What’s inside bumper shocks want to powder coat them

I think a large spring It shouldn't have any energy when those are pulled apart. Either that or it's more a sealed nitrogen style shock. I've never managed to disassemble one yet, but I've heard stories about bumper shooting off when the car is on fire, so I'm leaking towards the gas piston idea.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No gas in your shock Jack. It has some sort of membrane that holds the shock extended. Once the membrane is pushed in, the shock is basically toast. I have pulled some out and they stayed out, and some are loose and won't stay out. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

What is the membrane made of? It has got to withstand around 450 degrees!
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for info

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
            No gas in your shock Jack. It has some sort of membrane that holds the shock extended. Once the membrane is pushed in, the shock is basically toast. I have pulled some out and they stayed out, and some are loose and won't stay out. WagonMan
            The one you knocked back out on my car stayed out until the car was disassembled. I'm pretty sure I still have it floating around somewhere in the garage. I suppose if they're loose after, you could always hit it with small a weld or something to hold it in place.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              What is the membrane made of? It has got to withstand around 450 degrees!
              450 degrees??
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I don't know what the membrane is made of, possibly plastic? I guess 450 degrees is what you have to bake the powder coated parts at? WagonMan
                89 Colony Park
                90 Colony Park

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  450 degrees??
                  I don't know what the membrane is made of, possibly plastic? I guess 450 degrees is what you have to bake the powder coated parts at? WagonMan
                  Yes. More often then not around 450 till flow out then back down to 400 for ~20 minutes. Depends on manufactures directions of powder.

Doesnt hurt outgassing the part at that temp for ~30 minutes just to be sure all oils are baked out of it before you start the powder coating process.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I need to look when I get home, I may have some sacrificial bumper mounts we can dissect to find out. They would be the old ones from my 93's previous front bumper.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My recently acquired '88 Colony Park has a squished in front bumper on one side. From reading this, I should be able to just pull it out and use something to just fix that now-ruined shock in place? Do they sell replacements anywhere?

Comment

I used 6 x 6 x 15" block of wood to bang out SLACK'S front bumper. It popped out far enough to look good. Once in a while NOS ones pop up on E-bay. They are not all the same! Different lengths and the cylinders are different widths. According to my parts book, 88 does not interchange with any other year. WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park

Comment

I used 6 x 6 x 15" block of wood to bang out SLACK'S front bumper. It popped out far enough to look good. Once in a while NOS ones pop up on E-bay. They are not all the same! Different lengths and the cylinders are different widths. According to my parts book, 88 does not interchange with any other year. WagonMan
                          I like the idea of smacking it out and fixing it back in position. Years ago I owned an e28 BMW 528e with the horrible protruding US bumpers. I drilled holes in the shocks, drained the fluid, pushed the bumpers in and threw screws in the shocks to hold them in place. Had to modify trim to suit.

Comment

Late to the party for the "what's inside" topic, but I cut through one (89 Town Car) in the junkyard with a recip saw (a trick I learned from the derby folks) and can tell you it's full of a firm gel. It makes quite the mess when the saw blade shreds it.

This sharply contrasted against the 76 New Yorker I gave the same treatment to, which was full of bad smelling liquid oil with coil springs.

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

New Yorker sounds like it had true 5mph bumpers.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X