No announcement yet.

1997 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recall did NOT fit the original flaw, the defective brake switch on the master cylinder. All it did was provide a fuse (actually 2) inline to the switch so that in the event that it leaked, it wouldn't short out and catch the master cylinder on fire. From what I can see here, the recall was performed exactly as it is on every car, and likely not the cause. I'm not sure if those wires plugging into the recall harness (which should be constant power, the cause for the recall) are the cause simply because they aren't really close to anything else burnt. They are definitely melted now, but I think the fire started elsewhere.

Not really sure what would have started a fire that burned the top off the master cylinder. If it were related to the cruise control recall, the switch would be melted. Almost looks like the fire started in the bulkhead connector below the master cylinder. Maybe brake fluid leaked into that connector from the master, maybe even from the defective switch?

FWIW, when I got my '97 it'd had the recall performed already. The cruise control didn't work, and I discovered both of the fuses in the recall harness had been blown. That is when I found that the switch was leaking brake fluid pretty bad, and there was evidence that it had been doing it for quite awhile, so in that case the recall harness probably saved my '97 long before it was even mine. That wasn't the only thing wrong with the CC system, but I obviously started there and installed the updated Ford switch, which comes with an adapter to plug into the original harness making the install as painless as any part retrofit. Kinda makes you wonder why Ford didn't just replace the switches and incorporate a fuse into the harness adapter rather than the BS "fix" that doesn't actually fix anything, it is about zero extra labor.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Welcome! Good looking car you picked up.

That recall applies to '98, guess I'll have to do some investigating to determine if this is something I need to address on my '98.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

First off I just want to say thanks for the warm welcomes (and condolences lol). I definitely wasn’t planning for my introduction to have such a sucky last post. I was actually working on re-formatting this build thread for this forum when I got the call about the fire.

I really love this car and it feels like I’ve been working on it non stop. Not because it was having any problems, but because I’m slightly OCD about knowing for sure what maintenance has been performed.

Worst case scenario I’ll find myself in pull-a-part stripping aero Mercury’s for their wiring harnesses and anything else that needs to be replaced. But the shop kind of hinted at taking care of it.. I don’t know. If they don’t, I’ll just take the car back home and strip it down myself. I’ll continue to update as I find out more information.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        The car was definitely not resprayed from a blue metallic considering under neath all the trim you pulled, deep in the engine compartment and deep inside the trunk you see white paint. Curious what it is you have seen.
        See, I’m inclined to agree with you.. and I made that first post when I had just got the car and hadn’t really examined it thoroughly yet. Clearly, all inside of the trunk, door jambs and inside the engine bay is white, so to uninformed observer it would definitely look factory. BUT.....

Look inside the door jamb, see that metallic blue popping out from underneath? That same metallic blue pops out slightly in several other places by the C-pillar, and in other places along the door jambs. Also, the clear coat and paint itself is peeling pretty bad along the exterior of the driver’s side quarter panel. This is not your typical Ford “peelformance” white issue. It’s not primer.. there’s a metallic blue under this white..

Now, based off the Bayshore Edition post above.. it’s totally implausible that this car possible could have been a left-over ‘96 model Bayshore Edition that ended up as a 1997 LS? Like that couldn’t happen... right?

I’d get some better pictures for you, but .. yeah.

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
        FWIW, when I got my '97 it'd had the recall performed already. The cruise control didn't work, and I discovered both of the fuses in the recall harness had been blown. That is when I found that the switch was leaking brake fluid pretty bad, and there was evidence that it had been doing it for quite awhile, so in that case the recall harness probably saved my '97 long before it was even mine. That wasn't the only thing wrong with the CC system, but I obviously started there and installed the updated Ford switch, which comes with an adapter to plug into the original harness making the install as painless as any part retrofit. Kinda makes you wonder why Ford didn't just replace the switches and incorporate a fuse into the harness adapter rather than the BS "fix" that doesn't actually fix anything, it is about zero extra labor.
        I suppose this was bound to happen sooner or later then? Major bummer. I’m under the hood of this thing constantly and never noticed any brake fluid leakage. In a weird way, I’m kind of glad this didn’t happen right after I did a brake job and/or put new brake fluid in because I would have sworn it was something I did.

One thing that isn’t entirely clear to me .. is the recall “fix” harness more of a fire hazard than the original problem it was supposed to be fixing?

More importantly, what harness do I need to repair this thing safely? Does anyone have a part number?

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Stay Tuned!
        Last edited by hot__box; 02-07-2022, 01:35 AM.

1997 Grand Marquis — Alpine, JVC 6x8, Kicker 6x9, Kicker CX Series Amp, Kicker 12” Subs, Dual Exhaust, Chrome Tips, CV Sport Rims, 5%, Sylvania ZXE’s, ETC.
        1994 Crown Vic1999 Cherokee XJ2021 F-250 4X41985 Impala “Hot Box”

Comment

That car is a 97 judging by the the plug where the 12v accessory port should be on a 96 also not having a chrome ignition is another tell (though some 96 MY cars got the plastic ignition).
          1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
          2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by hot__box View Post

See, I’m inclined to agree with you.. and I made that first post when I had just got the car and hadn’t really examined it thoroughly yet. Clearly, all inside of the trunk, door jambs and inside the engine bay is white, so to uninformed observer it would definitely look factory. BUT.....

Look inside the door jamb, see that metallic blue popping out from underneath? That same metallic blue pops out slightly in several other places by the C-pillar, and in other places along the door jambs. Also, the clear coat and paint itself is peeling pretty bad along the exterior of the driver’s side quarter panel. This is not your typical Ford “peelformance” white issue. It’s not primer.. there’s a metallic blue under this white..

Now, based off the Bayshore Edition post above.. it’s totally implausible that this car possible could have been a left-over ‘96 model Bayshore Edition that ended up as a 1997 LS? Like that couldn’t happen... right?

I’d get some better pictures for you, but .. yeah.

I see what you are saying. Certainly a good head scratcher.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

both sides of the car show blue?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I like paint mysteries. Check out under the carpet and rear package tray. Look at the quarter panel seam in the deck lid channel to see how they match left to right.

My 88 was damaged in transport before the original owner ever got it.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  both sides of the car show blue?
                  I can’t quite remember, and I never dug really deep into it. Obviously I can’t just check right now. From what I do remember it’s mainly on the driver’s side, but may exist on the passenger. It’s mainly in the C-pillar trim, door jambs, and quarter panel.. not exactly parts that get swapped out (IE: like if the rear door was replaced with a junk car door because of an accident).. I’ll have to do some further investigation once I get the car back in my possession.

Speaking of which, no updates as of yet.

1997 Grand Marquis — Alpine, JVC 6x8, Kicker 6x9, Kicker CX Series Amp, Kicker 12” Subs, Dual Exhaust, Chrome Tips, CV Sport Rims, 5%, Sylvania ZXE’s, ETC.

Comment

I once bought a dodge intrepid with 28 miles on it. It had been t-boned. Replaced the quarter, rear jamb, both doors, rocker and b pillar with used parts off a single car that had the correct color interior so I could use the door panels. It was not too deep, the seats were not smashed. Car ran and drove fine, you just needed to get in and out on the passenger side. Story was it got hit pulling out of the dealer lot on pickup by the first owner.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Marti Report:

Unfortunately it adds no clarity to the paint mystery. Straight from the Marti Report website:

But, I highly doubt this is the case. I could see a fender, not necessarily a quarter panel and door jamb and/or possibly more.

Does anybody know what the electronic group came with? I don’t see the digi dash on there and I’m wondering if it is part of the electronic group. Also, does anyone know what “Feature Car” means?

Shop clearly liable, even if it wasn’t their fault. Car still in limbo

Comment

Originally posted by hot__box View Post
                        Marti Report:

Unfortunately it adds no clarity to the paint mystery. Straight from the Marti Report website:

But, I highly doubt this is the case. I could see a fender, not necessarily a quarter panel and door jamb and/or possibly more.

Does anybody know what the electronic group came with? I don’t see the digi dash on there and I’m wondering if it is part of the electronic group. Also, does anyone know what “Feature Car” means?

Shop clearly liable, even if it wasn’t their fault. Car still in limbo
                        The original dealer brochure is available on EBAY so maybe you may wish to get a copy. It will answer all your questions as to what was available depending upon if you have a GS or LS.
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                          The original dealer brochure is available on EBAY so maybe you may wish to get a copy. It will answer all your questions as to what was available depending upon if you have a GS or LS.
                          Here is a photo of the options page. Maybe you can open the photo and with a magnifying glass you can make out enough details to answer your question?

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1289996
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Absolute guess here on feature car - those seats. A special option for cars meant for the dealer to sell as some kind of special edition, akin to the Bayshore mentioned above.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Electronic Group gave you the digital dash and I think it by default threw in EATC. I don't think you could get a digidash with manual HVAC controls.

I bet the seats were left over from the Bayshore run and they needed to move them, so suddenly you've got this neat interior option you can order as a "feature car". Can't say I've seen that one anyone's report that's posted one. Kinda neat considering all the 97MY cars that one was only one of 919 with that combo. Small group given how many existed.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                                Here is a photo of the options page. Maybe you can open the photo and with a magnifying glass you can make out enough details to answer your question?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57518[/ATTACH]
                                My eyes are definitely not good enough to see that, even zoomed in. But thanks anyway!

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                Electronic Group gave you the digital dash and I think it by default threw in EATC. I don't think you could get a digidash with manual HVAC controls.
                                Thanks.

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                I bet the seats were left over from the Bayshore run and they needed to move them, so suddenly you've got this neat interior option you can order as a "feature car". Can't say I've seen that one anyone's report that's posted one. Kinda neat considering all the 97MY cars that one was only one of 919 with that combo. Small group given how many existed.
                                Sounds about right. Yeah it’s pretty cool & definitely not very common. I’m thinking about having the seats re-upholstered; since I’ll never find another pair of them.

Update on the shop fire:

So, there’s a lot of complicated back story.. for the sake of keeping it simple, here’s how it’s going to be. I told them I wanted the car back and I’d do it myself but no, they insisted they’d make it right. Translation: they want to make more money of me.

They couldn’t source any of the harnesses from Ford (...) or any other parts supplier. The shop sourced a junk ‘97 to strip the wiring harness off of. They’re charging me for labor to repair it, but split the cost in half with me; also cut the price of the exhaust in half. But they want me to pay for the delivery of the junk car itself. If I’m going to pay to get the car towed, then I want to keep the car after the fact.

It’s all semantics. The bottom line is all that matters. Basically, if I pay for the car and the tow, then everything totals up to be what I was going to pay for just the exhaust work plus the junk car. So I’m getting screwed.. but when it’s all said and done with, I’ll have the Mercury back to normal plus a ‘97 parts car I can strip.

Everyone who I’ve confided in has told me to sue them, and I frankly would win. The car was on the rack, they’re 100% liable. I’ll take this one to the chin, lesson learned for next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X