Front bumper mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front bumper mods

Got 79 front bumper filled in holes added threaded inserts instead of clips for bolts and added expanded metal and put slim fog lights
    Attached Files

We really need a good update on whats going on with your wagon.

How much of a fight does the chrome put up when grinding it off?

I see you dont fully trust the nutserts/rivnuts...I see tacs holding them in place! Cant say its a bad idea...extra insurance.

OH a yes welder. How you like it? I recently heard about them through a youtube channel. Guy seemed to like the brand.

I have me a nice 79 bumper. I like the look of them a lot. Haven't installed mine yet though. Looking forward to your progress.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-09-2022, 05:42 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Little by little on wagon updates
      40 grit on grinder chrome comes of easy
      I put tacos on nut inserts cause some holes were a little loose
      Yes welder works fine for my needs only thing is it’s all metric settings

Comment

Great fab work! Good for you looks amazing

Comment

The 87 front bumper is longer on bottom then the 79 bumper had to drill new mounting holes and had to cut both ends of inner bumper brace for it to sit flush
          Attached Files

Comment

This is good information and one reason I never put on the 79 bumper I have for fear of some fitment issues.

Just to be clear jack are you saying that the inner structure of the 87 bumper needs to be trimmed some to fit properly into the 79 bumper cover?

Pleas do post up any other little things one may encounter when doing this swap.

I will be using my factory 87 inner structure and putting that onto the 79 face I purchased.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Took top and bottom ends off each side made straight cuts for inner brace to fit and had to elongate some holes to line up better for rivet nuts.might not need to elongate holes if you use u nuts
              Attached Files

Comment

Got fog lights in and cutting out access holes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Got bumper brace powder coated now got to get chrome removed from bumper for powder coating
                  Attached Files

Comment

wow... that looks good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X