LTDs In the Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTDs In the Woods

Here are some Panthers time has forgotten about, until recently.

Got a contact through a friend that someone they knew had a death in the family and that the individual had a ton of cars on the property. Figured it wouldn't hurt to take a look amongst all the vehicles. There happen to be two Panthers hiding out. From what I can tell there's a 1986 LTD Crown Victoria 351 V8 police package still wearing virtually everything it had on when it retired from service from Columbia County and a 1979 LTD-S 302 V8.

Running condition of either is unknown, they've been sitting a long time, have junk/trash in them, are incredibly dirty, and both steering columns have been disassembled to an extent with the ignition switches hanging free. I did slam my boot as hard as possibly into the floors to see if it would go through, but the floors seem to be intact, however without lifting the cars out of their spots, it's hard to know if anything else is solid. There's surface rust on certain suspension components I could see, but that's about the most I could make of anything.

1986 Car: Still painted and lettered complete with rotating beacon/siren combo on roof. Door panels are in awful shape. I think it has a blue interior. Odometer shows 41,006. Has intermittent wipers and tilting steering wheel. No clock, no cruise. Radio bezel is in the floor, didn't look too hard since I didn't want to meet any spiders.

1979 Car: Green on green car. Paint seems to just be flaking off the body, vinyl roof is mostly gone exposing just paint. Wearing 14" Mercury hubcaps. Has a partition not bolted in on the back, but doesn't appear to have been a police car. Door panels are also ruined. Has factory AM/FM radio, A/C equipped, no clock. I don't think the dash pad is cracked, surprisingly.

The Pair:

Also, set of doors:

One of the doors has rust on the bottom pretty good, the other seems solid-ish.

So, FWIW, all of this is available. I'm kinda playing a bit of a middle man to try and help see if these cars can be re-homed if anyone had interest in a project. I can pass along the contact information of the folks who inherited all this stuff and would like to get it moved. Effectively these cars are on a "make offer" basis. They're a bit stuck where they're at, but hopefully by March 1st they can be moved. I'd really love to be able to say if the undercarriages are in okay shape of if they have any holes.

Myself, I might make an offer on the police car tomorrow, but if they say no, I'll at least say what offer didn't fly.

So again, if anyone is interested in a whole car, or maybe a package, shoot me a PM and I can get you in contact with the current owners. Allegedly keys and titles are available, but I'm not holding my breath right now. In Georgia, anything pre-'85 doesn't need one, so the '79 is a bit easier for a local, but the '86 might be harder. I don't think they're wanting to part anything out currently, otherwise I'd be yanking PI stuff for y'all.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Good examples for a "Will It Start" Youtube Channel!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Nice project material. The police car has real potential. The base ltd at minimum a good parts car. Someone just needs the room to work on them.

Comment

Oh man the patina on the police car would be very cool. I'm surprised they let it out with the lettering and light intact. Buyer must have had some connections. Safe bet it hasn't been on the road since it's last shift ended.

I suspect the interior of either would need completely redone to get rid of the smell.

I looked at a 88-89 P72 in the woods a few years ago. Similar condition minus the police lettering and light. They wanted $800 at the time and wouldn't budge. Being a non runner and having been parked due to a transmission issue, I passed as much as I wanted it.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

79 car should have a mirror at the hinge. Not mid door.

I'd be worried about frame rot being sunk in the dirt.

Comment

I'd want those doors if I still had my '90. I really wanted some vent windows.

What else is out there?
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Man that Vic is so cool. I'd totally rock it like that. Well maybe clean the windows and probably take off the lighthouse of an emergency light that's on top.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                79 car should have a mirror at the hinge. Not mid door.

I'd be worried about frame rot being sunk in the dirt.
                I think you got the nifty aero styled mirrors if you got the car with the remote adjustable mirror. This car only has a single manual mirror. Seems the only options was AM/FM radio and A/C. To reinforce the ‘79 points, it has the center mount license plate slot and the speedometer goes up evenly (10, 20, 30, etc) vs the ‘80+ cars that all end in fives (15, 25, 35, etc).

If I can get these cars out of their spots at some point, I’ll see if I can figure out how bad the undercarriage is. I’m in the same boat knowing that it could be rotten from being on dirt or solid for no good reason.

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                I'd want those doors if I still had my '90. I really wanted some vent windows.

What else is out there?
                Square body Chevrolets. Some Dodge trucks. There’s a ‘59 Custom 500 Sedan, but it’s rotten out. There’s a ‘68 or ‘69 Country Squire. Two school buses and various other junk. No idea on prices, but come March 1st, if the guy who was gonna buy several of the Chevrolets fails to do so, they’ll be available.

My Cars:
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I would seriously doubt the bottoms of any of those cars are intact. Nature and common sense dictates it. The only thing is how bad are they.
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I can't see any pics! Very curious about that '86...
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Those cars are definitely not gonna be pour some fresh gas ‘n’ go.

Did you offer up on the ‘86? Would be a cool restoration project. Good luck!

1997 Grand Marquis — Alpine, JVC 6x8, Kicker 6x9, Kicker CX Series Amp, Kicker 12” Subs, Dual Exhaust, Chrome Tips, CV Sport Rims, 5%, Sylvania ZXE’s, ETC.
                      1994 Crown Vic1999 Cherokee XJ2021 F-250 4X41985 Impala “Hot Box”

Comment

There’s no way I’d be able to take on a project, but if I could, I’d be very interested in the Country Squire.
                        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Awesome. thanks for sharing!
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If nothing else there are definitely some parts worth grabbing off em.

Comment

Originally posted by hot__box View Post
                              Those cars are definitely not gonna be pour some fresh gas ‘n’ go.

Did you offer up on the ‘86? Would be a cool restoration project. Good luck!
                              Haven't made any offers yet since I'm trying to stay sensible about things the more I think about things. I really don't need more non-runners in my life and I really want to determine if the frame on either car is intact, but the temptation is there.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X