No announcement yet.

LTDs In the Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe see if they will allow you to lift the front end up on the '86?? Steel rake out the junk from under the bumper area to get to solid ground, throw a thick board down and put a jack under it. Should be able to get it high enough to at least see the torque boxes at a minimum I would think.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Both are really cool cars. I think I'm in the minority in that I actually like the '79 better out of the two. Hopefully the frames aren't complete swiss cheese but even so, there looks to be a lot of good parts on them. The bumpers and the police stuff alone would be worth it if the price was right even if the body was too rusted to be saved.

Is the speedo going up by 10 a thing on all '79s? I never noticed that before.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by hot__box View Post
        Those cars are definitely not gonna be pour some fresh gas ‘n’ go.
        You know, there's a lot of this "Will it start?" BS on You Tube and most of 'em deal with stuff that'll always start short of major mechanical failures.. However, they always end up needing to go through the fuel system- namely the carburetor. I'm willing to wager that if anything would fire up with just a fresh gas tank, lines, fuel filter and fuel pump, it would be an EFI car. I couldn't even let my carb'd car sit for six months without having to give the float bowl a love tap...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          You know, there's a lot of this "Will it start?" BS on You Tube and most of 'em deal with stuff that'll always start short of major mechanical failures.. However, they always end up needing to go through the fuel system- namely the carburetor. I'm willing to wager that if anything would fire up with just a fresh gas tank, lines, fuel filter and fuel pump, it would be an EFI car. I couldn't even let my carb'd car sit for six months without having to give the float bowl a love tap...
          I recently found a channel that does some interesting "will it start" videos on some really old stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arxOB5u9kaE
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Id like to imagine if I found these in a junkyard what I would take front them.

From the 86:

Front and rear sway bars, 140 speedometer, hood (if in good condition, just to have), front air damn and the ac, radiator and alternator brackets . Id grab oil cooler, lines and sandwich plate if equipped.

From the 79:

Rear license plate bucket, hood (if in good condition, just to have), header panel and front bumper (I would like to try out the LTD-S look), taillights.

OH and Id have to snag the light/beacon off the 86 just because it is so damn odd looking.

I have to agree with the patina comment. Would look damn cool washed off and rolling the streets.
            Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-17-2022, 06:14 PM.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If the frame is intact. I'd have no problem personally investing money into it. That's too much rust in my opinion to have fixed

Comment

I believe these cars are good for several Youtube channels (you know, "I found a car buried under 8 tonnes of dirt and hasn't been started since dinosaurs roamed the Earth) but for folks like us to take them on and reconstruct them does not seem to be worth it.
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Agree. This screams for Derek from Vice Grip Garage.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                    I recently found a channel that does some interesting "will it start" videos on some really old stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arxOB5u9kaE
                    That's kind of neat. But, I'd like to see some "will it start" stuff from the 80's EFI era. I'd love to see someone try and get one of those 1980-1983 EFI Imperials running again, for example. Must retain EFI, carb slappin' is not an option.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      That's kind of neat. But, I'd like to see some "will it start" stuff from the 80's EFI era. I'd love to see someone try and get one of those 1980-1983 EFI Imperials running again, for example. Must retain EFI, carb slappin' is not an option.
                      "Recstoration" recently did a video for a Camaro and they got it to start. One of the rare videos they did on a non carb car.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I'd buy that 86 for the right price in a heartbeat!
                        Yes, I'm sick, but the patina alone is worth it.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          I'd buy that 86 for the right price in a heartbeat!
                          Yes, I'm sick, but the patina alone is worth it.
                          If you want to put an offer out on it, shoot me a PM and I can forward you the contact info for it. I certainly hope they're not asking too much.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Too bad they're all the way down in GA. Otherwise, if nobody wanted those cars whole; I'd take the front doors and fenders off the '86; the tail lights and front bumper off the '79.

Comment

PM sent.
                              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Does anyone know whatever happened to the sheriff's crown vic? Has it been sold?

Comment

Working...
                                X