Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the signs of a bad fuel pressure regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANK YOU for your help.
    The distributor was super easy.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Glad to hear it went well. Do keep an eye out on the TFI. If it is an aftermarket, they usually suck. If you can lay your hands on an OEM I would keep it in the glove box along with the tool to remove it and replace it. Sometimes they are somewhat difficult to access!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thank you Frisky Frankie.
        I put together another remanfactured spare distributor with the goodies already in place to carry along, just in case. It looks faster to swap the ready to go distributor verses the TFI alone.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

1.47v with the TPS closed is too much. fair bet you're getting a code for that. It should be under 1.2 if I remember right but normally its pretty close to 1.0.

though it would be worth asking where you were grounded to. If it wasn't the black wire in the TPS harness, there can be some voltage difference between there and ground if the connections aren't perfect. The ECM won't see it but your voltmeter will.

injectors and spark both drive off the PIP sensor, so if thats wrong none of it is right.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You're right again Gadget.
            I finally got my code reader to connect and retrieved a few codes. One was the TPS. I'll post the codes in another post if that's ok.
            Yesterday I got to put some miles on since I replaced the distributor.
            The event went like this
            I would drive around the neighborhood 1-2 miles at a time then come back home. A few times while driving the engine would "skip" a beat, not an actual surge. I would drive back home and sit idling in drive for 2-4 minutes simulating stopping at a red light. Then I would go again and repeat many times for a total of 13 miles and close to an hour of driving without cutting the engine off or it cutting off on its own. It would "skip" a beat while stopped, but only if I stayed 3-4 minutes. It would drive off fine. Stopping at a stop sign was fine and would drive away ok.
            A few times under light throttle it would "skip" a beat. Sorta like taking a breath of air. Giving it gas and it was fine. It never seemed like it wanted to cut off.
            A couple of times when the transmission would down shift to low for a stop sign it would "skip" a beat. Not every time though. Maybe once out of ten times. I came home and let it idle in park, 16 minutes later it "skipped" a beat and went to normal for another 14 minutes. I then let it idle in drive, 20 minutes later it "skipped" again. Overall the engine had been running close to 2 hours. The temperature gauge was normal the entire time.

I then checked the coil with a test light. It was a bright solid orange. I then checked each plug wire at the distributor cap with the test light and each one had a bright orange spark and increased when the rpms increased.

I now checked the timing and it was way off. I could not see the marks.
            I pulled the spout connector and set the timing at 10 BTDC. Now the idle was fine without the spout in. 1000 in Park and 750-800 in Drive.
            When I put the spout back in the idle in Park went to 1200 and surge down to 900-1000.
            In drive it would surge from 800 down to 500. Many times.
            I turned it off and in Park it stated ok 2 times.
            3rd time no start.
            I waited a couple of minutes and tried again.
            It started with a slight miss. I turned it off and it started again, but ran like shit when I revved it up in Park.
            I turned it off and called it a night and went to cry in some beer.
            I tried the timing again this morning. I will put it in another post

Comment

typical timing advance is a good 20+ degrees at idle so not surprising its not on the scale. A good part of the idle speed control is by timing. 1000 rpm is too high though. Target is 672 rpm.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like the timing is good as long as you are looking at the correct part of the pointer. (Ask me how I know... no wait don't ask it's embarrassing)

As was suggested earlier the idle screw may be out of spec and or the tps is bad.

First check the throttle base setup. Then check/readjust the tps. If the voltage is still out after that just replace it.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                X