Gearshift linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearshift linkage

Hey everyone! I was gifted a 2004 Marquis. 40,000 miles. Now the gearshift cable broke off at the transmission side. See attached pic. I'm a bit stumped. Im trying to cut off the rubber compression fitting at the opposite side of the linkage. Then straighten it out and break the nut in a vice. If anyone has a tip or word of caution it is always appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_172227_1Edit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1305892
    Last edited by Whosondephone; 02-18-2022, 05:57 PM.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

What are you trying to do? Repair the cable at the break point (weld it?) or something else?

Is just replacing the cable in whole not an option?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

also curious what exactly broke, the cable, the arm on the trans, or the bolt that holds the two together.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like the slip ring tab on the end of the cable... but I'm not quite sure either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Perhaps the attached pictures will help explain the problem. Yes the problem is the slip ring snapped off. I perhaps temporarily fixed the issue by replacing the cable. Scrambling I ordered a new one from Ford. I think it was a little over $100. Another problem I weakend one of the drag links while trying to restraighten it. You can see the light colored crack. The hardest thing was trying to remove the drag link from that one way rubber compression fitting. I ended up cutting away at it and heating it with my Solder rework station.

When installing the cable I noticed markings which seemed to indicate neutral. So I made sure everything was in neutral before gently tightening the slip ring.

I have a couple questions:

I noticed when switching through all the gears by turning the shaft on the transmission without the cable attached,. That all the gears(positions) snap in place except park. I could see there being a safety for this. However I believe this may be the reason it broke in the first place. Unless the factory set the cable as to apply extra pressure on it. Could there be a problem with the transmission?

There were a couple screws holding on what I'm assuming to be the transmission gear position sensor. I removed them but couldn't get the sensor to slide off. I'm assuming it is supposed to come off the metal shaft just ever so slightly corroded. I also hear plastic shrinks at ages. It would have made things a lot easier if I could have removed it. Should that part come off?

Is there a tool to remove that rubber compression fitting?
          Thanks again for your help! I just had a baby girl in December things have been hectic. <3
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Whosondephone; 04-27-2022, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the NSS should pull off with those screws out, but the shaft may be rust welded to the NSS now if the NSS has a metal center around the shaft, so some liberal amounts of penetrant may be required to get it off. If it's all plastic, some sanding of the shaft to knock down the rust may help it clear.

Not sure about the park position. The shifter movement is usually greater to park than between the other gears allowing the cable to apply more pressure to the shifter on the trans. "shouldn't" be an issue.

Also, no clue about the rubber compression you're talking about.

Comment

I think he might mean the rubber boot?

Comment

It's the piece that goes into the big hole on the right of the last picture. Maybe a rubber washer, or bushing. It has a wedge that allows it to go together but not separate.

Comment

sounds like the same sort of bushing they use on all these things. Tapered up to a sharp corner with a groove cut in it to lock it in place.

The easiest tool to remove it is a propane torch. Get it hot and it lets go, put a new one in. There is some fancy tool to get it apart but it doesn't always work and breaking the lever is very possible.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X