X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Codes retrieved 90 Colony Park.

KOEO
    18 Spout circuit open
    22 MAP sensor out of range.(this did not come display the first test time)
    23 TPS out of range
    95 Fuel Pump secondary circuit ...fault

KOER
    12 rpm idle out of range...high
    44 Thermactor Air System fault
    94 (1) Converter clutch control circuit failure
    (2) Air Diverter Solenoid circuit fault.

The timing checked okay with the code reader.
    However with the spout out, the idle is ok
    1000 in Park...750-800 in Drive.
    Spout in..Park idle is 1200....Drive constantly surging 800 down to 500.

Thank you for putting up with me guys.
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

When you say timing is OK do you mean it is on target with spout out?

Replace and adjust TPS since you know it is bad.

Clear codes and try again after a little drive time.

If you don't get ford I suggest Standard Not the T (econo) series e.g. TH18 yes TH18T No way. Though if I was to go econo I still might go Standard.
    Last edited by jaywish; 02-21-2022, 05:14 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

This "should" be the correct OEM part: FORD OEM-Throttle Position Sensor E6AZ9B989C. Especially when it comes to electrical parts I always go OEM unless I have no choice. Have seen it on EBAY for about $70 but you may be able to find it cheaper.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

TY Frankie.
        With the spout out it is on 10 BTDC. I had it in when used the code reader. It has a check timing function.
        It read the timing checked out ok.
        Before I did any testing I switched another Spout connector from the other CP. I try to use Motorcraft on all parts.
        I have read great things about the Standard products line of parts.
        THANK YOU again.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Standard and other name aftermarket parts have their place but for precision parts that are calibrated, I go only with OEM if at all possible.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

12 doesn't neccesarily mean what you think it does. It means it can't idle the engine up enough during the self-test, not so much that the idle is high.

44 and 94 are both thermactor. If your air pump is missing, thats why. if its not missing, chances are high that the ports in the back of the head are stuffed with carbon. What this actually is looking for is the system to read lean when it pumps air in. If the thermactor isn't there or its clogged, obviously it can't pump air in so you get no lead reading. if the O2 sensors are shot or the engine is running extremely rich, it also won't read correctly.

the KOEO codes can be a mix of stored and active depending exactly what order things spit out in.

18 is usually a wiring harness fault or possibly a TFI problem if the SPOUT is installed. Nothing magic about those, its just a piece of wire between those two pins. Nothing to actually go bad. If the engine was run at some point with the connector out, it may have set the code.
            22 - If the MAP sensor is connected to a vacuum line, unhook it. MAF cars use a baro sensor, which is just a MAP with no vacuum line connected to it. If the sensor is bad or not present, that would also do it.
            23 - stick a voltmeter from green to black in the TPS connector with it plugged in. You want to see about 0.8 - 1.2 volts, normally right near 1.0 is where they live. If its outside of that range, either the TPS is bad, the throttle stop screw is jacked open, or maybe the mounting holes on the TPS are wallowed out and its just sitting wrong.
            95 - the wire wasn't hooked up to the fuel pump side of the relay when the mass air conversion was done. This is not a problem at all, but if you want it to go away you need a wire from ECM pin 19 to the fuel pump side of the pump relay.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

THANK YOU Gadget.
              Your knowledge is incredible.
              I owe you so much gratitude and anything else you wish with this and all of your previous help.

Comment

I did not know that a throttle being open too much would change the volt range of the tps. good to know before investing in a new one.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Its normally not a thing that happens but people like to mess with the "idle screw" and it can cause goofy problems. The computer controls the idle speed, but it can only do that within a certain amount. if there is too much air getting around the throttle blade the IAC can't shut things down enough to control it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good info

Comment

Yes, I'm guilty. I did fudge with the idle screw.
                      Where exactly should it be be turned in to?

Comment

Do you have a service manual?
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

If I remember right, it should turn it such that the idle is about 450 RPM with the IAC unplugged. The engine will not be very happy at all while you're doing this and will most likely stall. Do the best you can.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I found it in my Haynes manual.
                            As follows.
                            Start engine...run to operating temperature
                            88 models...raise engine speed to 1800....hold the pedal down for 30 seconds...
                            Put transmission in drive and check the idle speed...
                            Set the idle speed to 550 and 600 by turning the idle screw clockwise and then back the screw OUT a 1/2 turn.

89-92... put in Park...with the engine OFF, back OUT the screw so it does not touch the throttle lever pad.
                            Insert a 0.010 inch feeler gauge between the throttle plate stop screw and the throttle lever pad.
                            Tighten the screw until it touches the feeler gauge.
                            Remove the feeler gauge and turn the screw IN an additional 1-1/2 turns.
                            Start the engine and allow to stabilize for two minutes, then depress the accelerator quickly and allow the engine rpm to settle back down to idle.
                            The PCM and BPA-ISC valve should adjust the idle from this point.
                            If idle quality suffers (high or low) run a complete diagnosis of the fuel injection. and emission control system. Also check the throttle valve TV cable adjustment.

Comment

Idle set procedure without feeler gauge... Use the F150 5.0L setup for automatics and set 10 degrees BTDC but ignore feeler gauge settings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X