which m.s.d. distributer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which m.s.d. distributer..

so the shop did up an old 85 mustang block. its now a 306. everything is pretty well done. just got a two core radiator. the only thing left is a distributer. it already has a 6al ignition box and accel coil and an a9p with explorer intakes. which distributer should i go with? it looks like theres one with vacume..

I would rebuild a stock distributor.
    Never had any luck with msd tune up parts.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah... unless you're going to run an HEI dizzy, or external ignition module, a stock one will work just fine. The MSD coils have a reputation of just dying. Either way, buy the one for the block. A 306 is a 302 block. So get the one that fits a 302 and matches your cam material (steel or iron). If you do not match the material, you will destroy the iron one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can confirm- MSD coils are junk. One almost got me killed and another died while my car was idling in the driveway. Their distributor caps are trash too. My Fireturd sports an MSD billet distributor with a stock cap and coil, because those are parts which haven't failed.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

As I'm sure most of you are aware - I'm a BIG believer in OEM whenever possible, especially on electrical/calibrated parts. Sockets and some connectors you can probably get away with but most ignition parts and sensors - NO!
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            So get the one that fits a 302 and matches your cam material (steel or iron). If you do not match the material, you will destroy the iron one.
            This is critical advice.

Roller cam = steel gear

Flat tappet = iron

There are also composite and bronze gears available, but they are usually race spec only.

I believe there is an application for a DS2 distributor with the steel gear ('85 Mustang HO w/ roller grind). Otherwise you can buy at steel gear and put it on any old DS2, but you have to install it at the right height to get the proper mesh.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

thanks for the help! got an oem one on the way. so close to driving this thing.

Comment

If you're using Explorer intakes, that implies EFI. What specific EFI though? Thats going to drive the distributor choice. EEC-IV, use a stock distributor.

and big +1 on matching the diz gear to the cam. Roller cam = steel gear. Flat tappet cam = I made a mistake, go get a roller cam.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

NEVER EVER MSD ANYTHING. That is all.

Comment

Yea it is a shame to hear that about MSD it was good in the day. I am guessing it is China made now? NOS USA made stuff is likely still good.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The Mustang guys have referred to it as Might Suddenly Die for a long time, but thats the goofy piggy-back MSD with TFI setup they sold for the Fox cars. No idea what that was supposed to accomplish but it seemed to just be an extra gizmo in the mix that can break.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I always refer to those parts as "My Spark Diasappeared", lol.. It's funny how people will pay more money for colored aftermarket coils/caps that fail vs. the stock ones that will run much longer. If you want a particular color scheme underhood then just paint the stock parts and rock on.
                        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Working...
                        X