85 police pack transmission removal and install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 police pack transmission removal and install

i have a question. i have a 85 police package ltd cv with the 351w. Do i have to remove the exhaust to get the transmission out? it looks like i can get around it. thanks.

Shouldn't have to remove the exhaust. I have had to use a ratchet strap on replacement exhaust that needed to be moved slightly toward the frame rail. I often will disconnect the Y or H pipe to get the trans crossmember out of my way, likely due to shot body mount bushing leaving little to no room between floor pan and exhaust to maneuver the crossmember, but that's as far as I've ever had to go with exhaust for a trans removal. My experience is all '88-'91, but I'm not aware of any major differences for this job on an '85. Only thing I don't know is how the TV is setup on an '85, but the rest should be the same as '88-'89 (shift linkage is also different '90-'91).

Also on shot body mount bushings, if you can't get the trans cross member bolts out at the frame rails you need to jack the body up. Piece of wood to spread the load on the floor pan has worked for me.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-17-2022, 08:11 AM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Agreed - should clear stock exhaust.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers