Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 MGM Gas Theft Protection | California no less $$$$$!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 MGM Gas Theft Protection | California no less $$$$$!!

Someone paid my 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis a late night visit when our gas prices hit over or near $6.00 ( and rising daily ) and attempted to siphon my full gas tank. They may have been startled by the neighbors and the secondary video coverage and fled, leaving the siphon hose next to my gas tank on the ground. They also were not able to by-pass or expecting to find a locking gas cap on my tank either. When I mentioned this to my engineer friend he sent me a video from YouTube that carefully explained that almost all 'modern cars' now have a easy built in anti-theft ball and spring device that prevents such theft. Seeing that many will return and even drill out my locking cap in the future, does my '1998 MGM have such internal protection against gas theft?

Let's hope that these prices do not rise any higher ( they will ) as I'm already walking to avoid driving and feel much better when I do. Still it's 25x better than dodging Russian supersonic missiles in Ukraine or going to bed hungry, scared and freezing at night ( we do this anyhow in California near the earthquake fault lines

Any thoughts about psychological deterrents as per a notice that my car is an electric conversion and that that is a special Government EV-7 Electric 'Charging Port' ( chuckle ).

_Hacksaw
    Last edited by _Hacksaw; 03-21-2022, 12:26 AM.

I don't think there's anything in the filler neck to block a hose going in until later years. There may be a "fence" but simple forcing of the hose will get it past that fence by going over the top of it. This is one advantage for cars that are bagged and lay low when parked. Can't drill what you can't get to.

as for deterrents, security cameras with 4K resolution so the cops have a good mug shot of the perp is really the only way if you can't lock the car behind a barrier (garage).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      I don't think there's anything in the filler neck to block a hose going in until later years. There may be a "fence" but simple forcing of the hose will get it past that fence by going over the top of it. This is one advantage for cars that are bagged and lay low when parked. Can't drill what you can't get to.

as for deterrents, security cameras with 4K resolution so the cops have a good mug shot of the perp is really the only way if you can't lock the car behind a barrier (garage).
      There is one last option ( possibly? ) and that might be a locking cover cap that I came across online. I'm going to consider this in brushed aluminum *if* it fits my car and will at least offer me a 'second' level of deterrent. I'm attempting to find one that will fit my 1998 MGM so it will give at least the idea that such gas thieves need to go elsewhere for a quick fill up. While talking to the parts person locally here he spoke of how his neighbor's Ford F-250 had it's gas tank drilled open from below while parked in broad daylight. Cost about $1500. to replace. Mine, while low, might be passed by if I harden up that gas plate door? At least one can hope. Those new trucks are so easy to just roll under. No so with the '98 MGM. I've also been warned not to confront such thieves as many are on the new P2P meth and are armed and easily startled and have no reservations about shooting. Hard to belive it's America anymore at times. At least the car thieves didn't get it years ago when they drilled into the car and ripped out the ignition cylinder etc. It did take me 1.5 months of research, towing and more detailed work and analysis here on the forum, but I brought it fully back into operation after all had failed. So it's all part of the game in California.

Comment

Interesting that even a "cheap" old Mercury gets targeted for fuel theft. In Finland mostly lone big rigs and campers are targeted. Big tanks and full more often.
        One way to deter theft is to drive a shitbox and put one of these on the gas door:

A friend has a sticker with text: Out of gas? -Out of gas...
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Wait... wha?

I resemble that... (Expedition)
          Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is quite funny.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by _Hacksaw View Post

Any thoughts about psychological deterrents as per a notice that my car is an electric conversion and that that is a special Government EV-7 Electric 'Charging Port' ( chuckle ).

_Hacksaw
              Randy,

Leave the hose next to the car, but draw a chalk outline of a body next to that. Embellish the chalk drawing with red stains near the head and heart areas, and some yellow CRIME SCENE tape. Nobody will try to steal your gas after that, at least until the next rainfall washes your artwork away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonwagon View Post
                Randy,

Leave the hose next to the car, but draw a chalk outline of a body next to that. Embellish the chalk drawing with red stains near the head and heart areas, and some yellow CRIME SCENE tape. Nobody will try to steal your gas after that, at least until the next rainfall washes your artwork away.
                I like that allot
                In some areas of CA,(and other cities) that above mentioned artwork would be REAL and as common as traffic lights.

Comment

Working...
                X